Talk

Advanced search

Southampton Primary Schools - relocating from London

(6 Posts)
lucyvsmith Fri 12-Dec-14 10:04:58

Hi there, I would like some advice on schools in Southampton. We moving from London and would probably be settling in Shirley. My daughter is 7 so will be going in to year 3.

I have tried calling Highfield (I know that is a bit further out but it has outstanding on Ofsted), but they have a small waiting list at the moment. Is there any other suggestions?

Many thanks

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 12-Dec-14 10:18:35

Highfield is pretty tricky to get into - best to be in catchment and a church-goer - and even then there is a waiting list. I wouldn't be optimistic if you are living in Shirley.

Portswood also has a good reputation but again is oversubscribed and you would be out of catchment.

The schools in Bitterne and Bitterne Park seem to do very well but again, you would be on the other side of the city.

Looking at the results released yesterday for primary schools, lots of the schools seem to be doing quite well - and I notice that Highfield and Portswood were last inspected in 2007, so their 'outstanding' might be a little out of date.

uilen Fri 12-Dec-14 10:59:54

Before deciding where to live you might also want to consider secondary schools, as you would be applying in the near future. The city schools aren't all that good and many people move out of the city to be in catchment for better secondaries.

bilbodog Fri 12-Dec-14 11:47:17

try the site 'life after london' as they deal with people moving out of London to other areas and someone on there will probably be able to give you al sorts of information.

lucyvsmith Fri 12-Dec-14 12:13:34

I have just registered on Life After London - thank you, that looks really useful. I have just called Beechwood Juniors in Bitterne, they have one space available, does anybody know anything about this school?

TalkinPeace Fri 12-Dec-14 13:51:48

I live in Southampton.
If I was moving down from London I would not choose to live in Shirley.

With local schools you have to slightly think backwards.

The only academic 6th forms in the city are St Anne's Girls (nominally catholic but not very, unlike London) and Bitterne Park
Taunton's college is improving and by the time your DD is year 12 should be back on track for 6th.

Southampton's school results are improving in leaps and bounds, but currently 10% of city kids go to Secondary school in Hampshire.

Also there is NO secondary school in the centre of the city.

Upper Shirley High is doing pretty well.
If you could live at the Hollybrook end of Shirley / Bassett then that's an option.
The schools in the Bitterne Park / Bitterne triangle area have good reputations.
Southern Shirley would not be on my radar TBH

Highfield is indeed a PITA to get into - and then feeds into Cantell which kinda ruins it for a lot of people.

All of the schools here are comps : but setting is widely used so not much in the way of mixed ability classes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now