Talk

Advanced search

Advice pls re something agreed at parents evening

(13 Posts)
Macey78 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:23:06

Dd aged 4 Is in reception. Seems to have settled in well and appears to be doing as she should be. Dh and I work it between us to do pick ups and drop offs so she doesn't have to attend after school club. However 1 day a week she does attend an after school activity and it was noted she would get quite upset before going. After some digging found out that she's normally hungry and when we pick her up always have a snack she just needs a little something to keep her going till 4.15. So it was agreed at parents evening I would leave a am snack in her book bag i.e crackers/hot cross bun.
Today dropped her off told the teacher there is a snack in the bag and that dd would've reminded to have her snack while waiting to attend the club. When we picked her up the snack was still in the book bag when I asked her about it. She named a TA saying that she was to have it after her after school class.

I just feel a little annoyed or am I being over sensitive. I want to mention this tomorrow morning without making too much of a big deal of it. If you see what I mean. Though as welcome please

Macey78 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:25:07

Apologies for poor grammar am on my phone!

lardylump Thu 11-Dec-14 22:25:53

put a note on the snack!

Macey78 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:34:04

Not sure that would work though will give it a go. Dd is likely to ask before getting it out and if is told by a grown up that she cannot have it yet. Will go with that.

catkind Thu 11-Dec-14 23:07:00

I expect the teacher just forgot to mention it to the TA yet. I'd put a note in diary or mention to the teacher in the morning next time she has the club to remind her to let the TA know.

bearwithspecs Thu 11-Dec-14 23:14:13

TAs and teachers are mad busy. They can't always remember each request for 30 children on 5 different days. Mine do ASC or clubs every day. All different. All need different kit or snack etc That could mean 150 different variations for a class.
Train your 4 year old to look in her book bag if hungry on this day please !

bearwithspecs Thu 11-Dec-14 23:19:47

Don't mean to be harsh but I think the TAs and teachers have enough on their plates remembering notes home, who is allowed to pick each child up, who goes to ASC etc

catkind Thu 11-Dec-14 23:21:06

bear, I read it the DD went to get her snack and the TA said she couldn't have it till later.

Macey78 Fri 12-Dec-14 07:15:27

Thank you for the comments. I really do appreciate how busy the teachers and TA's are. Am amazed at the daily queue to speak to the teacher and have tried my utmost to only approach them about essential things. Of course we are training our dd for life at school but she is 4 still and getting used to things.

bearwithspecs Fri 12-Dec-14 07:29:36

Sorry I mis interpreted it. Maybe the TA didn't want her suddenly stopping and eating while they are trying to round up everyone / get coats and bags up to go in various directions at home time. I would tell DD to get to location of club then get her snack out. It's a very busy time and the TA will be focused on making sure each child gets to the right destination and is collected by an appropriate authorised person.

Jinglebells99 Fri 12-Dec-14 07:39:28

I think you need to tell your child to that she has a snack, where it is and to eat it before the after school club. It may be, the staff don't want children eating at that time due to mess / choking risk. I don't think I'd bother the teacher about it. maybe put something that will keep energy levels up like a banana in her lunch.

MidniteScribbler Fri 12-Dec-14 09:11:34

I think it depends on the timing. If she pulled it out to eat while the staff were trying to round up the class, get everyone's bags, coats on, out the door to their various places, then I don't think it was unreasonable for the TA. Four year olds don't generally do 'walk and eat' too well, so she'd be wanting to sit down and eat before going and that means someone has to stay and supervise her then walk her over to the activity. Generally after school teachers are trying to talk to parents, get to meetings, tidy up classrooms, marking, planning, or may simply need to get to pick up their own children. I think you would be better off liaising with the after school activity and asking that she sits down when she arrives and eats before beginning the activity.

Macey78 Fri 12-Dec-14 19:16:16

Thanks for the rest of the comments. Didn't mention anything to the school. Will try and train dd better and see how things go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now