Talk

Advanced search

year 2 writing time

(7 Posts)
BeaLola Sun 07-Dec-14 12:00:29

Hi daft q but pls forgive as bunged up poorly in bed. DS has telling time homework and I was going to put some analogue clock faces to get her. When he writes answer is teacher going to expect 10:15 or 10.15 ?

Soz8 Sun 07-Dec-14 12:38:55

We usually write 10:00a.m. or p.m. for 12 hour clock in my class as that's how it appears on clocks usually. Hope that helps smile

Ferguson Sun 07-Dec-14 18:12:43

It is obviously the numbers that are the important part, so I don't think . : - are going to matter.

It is also the understanding of the clock face divided into 60 parts, hence 30 half hour, 15 quarter hour, 45 three-quarters, etc that is important, but that may not come in yet. Then, of course, there is 'continental' 24 hour clock to contend with, and timetables and maybe TV listings will use that.

Some clocks you can buy do have the 24 hour figures, smaller and in a different colour.

toomuchicecream Sun 07-Dec-14 18:19:05

I taught this to my year 2s last week, using : in between the numbers. We haven't got as far as am or pm yet!!

simpson Sun 07-Dec-14 19:17:02

We have been recapping telling the time in the class I am in (not a teacher) & the children are taught :

Lookslikeimstuckhere Sun 07-Dec-14 19:20:01

I would accept either from my year 2 class for homework,

Maybe you could put a little note saying you talked with DS about both but weren't sure which one was being used in class, so chose to use . or : (depending on which you used).

The understanding of numbers is way more important at this stage than which dot, so I really wouldn't worry. smile

BeaLola Tue 09-Dec-14 11:19:05

Thank you all. We are getting there .. He is ok at hour and half hour and then 50/50 on the quarter past and quarter too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now