Talk

Advanced search

Times tables

(8 Posts)
PotteryLottery Sun 07-Dec-14 09:13:04

Y1 DD has just learnt her 2x tables and 5x too and can write them out without help.

But if I ask her any random one out of sequence she doesn't know. Is this just something that will come with time and practice or do I need to do anything else to help her?

mrz Sun 07-Dec-14 09:19:46

Keep asking out of order. Being able to recite or write tables in order isn't enough.

beautifulgirls Sun 07-Dec-14 12:59:02

Squeebles times tables app on the ipad - really engaged DD2 and she can pick out pretty much any part of any table now and answer quickly (better than me!)

Ferguson Sun 07-Dec-14 17:59:11

I was primary TA, and you may find my standard Numeracy advice of some help; the web sites at the end may be useful. But the most important thing is to UNDERSTAND numbers and tables, and patient practice may achieve that:

QUOTE:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other

etc,

then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/index.html

UNQUOTE

Doc25 Sun 07-Dec-14 18:03:54

excellent tips Ferguson...made my daysmile smile

Doc25 Sun 07-Dec-14 18:03:55

excellent tips Ferguson...made my daysmile smile

taeglas Sun 07-Dec-14 23:52:11

Try maths is fun.
www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/math-trainer-multiply.html

Make spot patterns to match the times tables. 2x2 would be two rows of two so four spots like a dice 4 pattern. You could also make the same pattern with counters,pennies etc.

Play matching pairs games with a set of times tables cards and the corresponding answers (or spot pattern card answers as above)

Players place the cards face down on the table. The first player turns over 2 cards and reads them. If they are a matching pair the player keeps them. If not the cards are turned face down again. Then it is the next player's turn. The winner is the player with the most pairs at the end.
The same cards can be used to play times tables snap.

Look on tes for a complete set of printable times table cards
https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Times-Tables-Matching-Cards-3000430/

JustRichmal Mon 08-Dec-14 06:22:15

5 times table:

Even numbers, halve them and multiply by 10.
Odd numbers, do the same but subtract one at the beginning and add 5 at the end.

When learning the 5 times table dd liked being able to do any number times 5 using this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now