Talk

Advanced search

Jessop Primary School SE24

(12 Posts)
IndigopoppyBlue Sat 06-Dec-14 17:12:34

As a parent of a child in year 6, I want to express my disappointment in the school. At the end of the same term that the school were awarded 'Outstanding' by Ofsted, 7 teachers left suddenly (in 2012). Since then many teachers have left. Last year my daughter had five different teachers, she learnt nothing and complained of boredom for a year. She is still bored and yesterday we heard that a Year 5 and a Year 6 teacher had resigned. My child has regressed from a level 5c in year 4 to a level 4a now, I am told - she is very bright - but she has been seriously let down

UmmH Sat 26-Sep-15 11:23:17

I hope this didn't affect your daughter in the long-term. When I was growing up, Jessop was not considered a good school, but I appreciate that things change, so when I saw its outstanding report I thought I'd look into it for my son for 2016. Did the school give any explanation about this high staff turnover?

fernest Sat 26-Sep-15 12:16:57

This is interesting as my child was at Stockwell Primary which was Outstanding up until about 2010/12. They went into federation with Jessop which was then awarded outstanding whilst Stockwell went to needs improvement. Same issues lots of teachers leaving no head for a couple of years. Then lots of effort invested in getting yr 6 sats up which were the best the school has ever had this year. It looks like Jessop suffered and this is the problem with the federation IMO. You water down what is good. It appears to be a see-saw of ups and downs with these two schools.

UmmH Sun 27-Sep-15 12:38:29

Last year I saw two mums fighting outside the gate of Stockwell and being restrained by other parents. This is not the school's fault, but it is off-putting sad My nearest school is Sudbourne, but I seem to be on the edge of their ever shrinking catchment area, so I am searching for other good schools to add to my list. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jordanink Sun 27-Sep-15 18:29:39

Stockwel has as a new head who seems rally good and I think it's on the up but it is 3 form entry so getting really big. I wouldn't say you should avoid it tbh, I witnessed some incidents with parents i think you'd get that at any mixed inner city school. We are fortunate in London that so many primaries are outstanding or good.

CartoonPat Tue 13-Oct-15 02:04:09

My daughter is now in year one and I now have some concerns.
Whilst in reception she had a lovely caring teacher she was amazing made my daughter feel secure and what she learnt was amazing the things she use to come home and tell us made us feel very proud. This was the general consensus with all the parents in my daughters class.
Thankfully her old reception teacher still works in the school.
That was then since leaving butterfly class she obviously has a new teacher, who is also new to the school and country.
My daughter is now a nervous wreck, she has been having accidents (wetting) and her learning has come to a halt.
I have had several meetings with her class teacher and escalated my concerns to the assistant head, she has assured me extra work will be done with my daughter. Which I am happy about but what about the other children in her class who are suffering from their current teachers inexperience.

Nasmin123 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:02:51

Hi
We are looking to move into the catchment area of Jessop school. What have recent experiences been at the school. Obviously reading the threads 'outstanding' does not necessarily guarantee a good quality of teaching or support.

CartoonPat Mon 04-Apr-16 06:38:39

I must say since my last post my daughter is doing very well in school now she has settled with her new teacher.
Things generally seem to be flowing very well in the school. I must add the current head of school has been off long term sick!
Speaking with other parents with children in different year groups all seems very well, no more resignations by staff and excellent learning.
My daughters old reception teacher is still in reception and as I knew she is doing well and I am glad she is still in the school (I do hope she stays as I am expecting a baby boy in a few weeks!).
I'm not sure about the nursery, they have a newly qualified teacher in the nursery class and the reviews on her has not been good.
I have no personal experience apart from every time I see her she is having a cigarette break!

Nasmin123 Mon 04-Apr-16 09:15:49

CatoonPat thank you for your response. Is the head teacher the Executive Head or the interim head? I understand that they are looking for a substantive head. Glad to hear that your daughter is doing well.

CartoonPat Mon 04-Apr-16 19:21:49

The Executive Head (Mrs Umekwe) I think I've spelt her name correctly. She oversees the two schools in the federation.
So to answer your question it's the interim head, he has been off sick but from my understanding they are recruiting a new headteacher to start in September.

magkath78 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:19:39

I have a slightly different problem. My DS got a part-time place in Jessop nursery stsrting September 2016.
I like Jessop, but really need to know if going to nursery there increases his chances of getting into school (I know that official stance is a NO, but I do not believe that factors of uprooting the child etc do not come into play).
Nevertheless, I'd like to hear what's been other parents' experience, please.

I really only nerd him in the afternoons, from around 2.30 till 4.30pm, which falls under paid afterschool club at Jessops. If I cannot increase his chances of getting in, I'd rather kept him in his current nursery where I can get afternoons under his 15 hrs provision.

oyat Fri 10-Feb-17 22:21:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now