Talk

Advanced search

Please help - where to move to in London?

(17 Posts)
TimeForPlanB Thu 04-Dec-14 12:32:41

Unfortunately my marriage appears to be rapidly going down the pan, and I feel I need to prepare for the worst case scenario.sad

We live in north London and have 2 primary-aged DCs at fee-paying schools. In the event of a separation it is very unlikely that finances will stretch to school fees plus 2 properties. State primaries in our area aren't great (hence the fee-paying) and I couldn't afford our current mortgage on my own anyway.

So I would really appreciate any suggestions about which parts of London I could move to and a) have a chance of getting DCs into a good state primary and b) buy a decent 2-bed property for 250-300K? I'd need to commute to central London (Aldwych/Covent Garden) for work.

TIA

CharlesRyder Thu 04-Dec-14 15:22:22

What about going out down the soon to be crossrail route?

Taplow has a lovely primary school and you would get a decent house with a proper garden for that money.

TimeForPlanB Thu 04-Dec-14 21:29:15

Thanks CharlesRyder. I've considered moving out of London but don't really know where to start. A quick search on Taplow suggests it's worth further investigation.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd be really, really grateful. I'm finding the prospect of major life changes pretty daunting, and it would really help to narrow my search to manageable proportions. Please pm me if you'd rather not give recommendations on an open forum.

Nyborg Thu 04-Dec-14 21:34:13

Anywhere with a commute into Waterloo would work for Covent Garden/Aldwych. Perhaps worth looking at Raynes Park / New Malden / Surbiton?

MN164 Fri 05-Dec-14 08:05:46

That's sad news. I hope things get better for you.

The "Locrating" website could help as it combines school ratings, commute times and house prices.

www.locrating.com

PS - mind your browsing history and this topic given your situation.

Superworm Fri 05-Dec-14 09:39:41

Would you consider moving to South London? Tends to be cheaper generally and has good schools. Not sure about specific schools for this property but might be in budget?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/full-description/property-47192645.html

Messygirl Fri 05-Dec-14 09:41:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Messygirl Fri 05-Dec-14 09:41:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Superworm Fri 05-Dec-14 09:48:28

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/full-description/property-47192645.html

TimeForPlanB Fri 05-Dec-14 10:50:53

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Superworm - would definitely consider South London, but I don't know it at all so it's a matter of finding somewhere to start.

Madrigals - will check out Barnet.

MN164 - that site is amazing. Exactly what I need, thank you so much for posting the link.

Maki79 Fri 05-Dec-14 11:39:40

I know friends of mine who are very happy in Epsom. I know it's not exactly London, but the commute to Waterloo is not bad, and the schools are good.

A house...a little over budget but as it needs some work you could possibly put in an offer....

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46919608.html

An number of apartments within your budget... this is my fav! (tlc required but looks like it could be really homely).

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47015905.html

somebodythatiusedtoknow Fri 05-Dec-14 14:28:02

Sorry for asking a potentially stupid/ naive question but if you will be sharing care or the ex will have regular contact with the children, will it be problematic to be too far from where he will be?

TimeForPlanB Fri 05-Dec-14 14:55:15

Not stupid or naïve at all somebody. I was trying not to give away too many identifying details, but part of the "marriage going down the pan" scenario involves H wanting to move a long way away, so not really a consideration.

MN164 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:00:18

Best of wishes for the future, whatever if holds.

imme Fri 05-Dec-14 22:55:51

That sounds like a sad situation for your family.
Have a look at Forest Hill, SE23. You should be able to find flats in your budget and primary schools are mostly good or outstanding. FH has a lot on offer for families, lots of green spaces and decent connections into town via the Overground. Surrounding FH there are other slightly cheaper areas worth considering like Sydenham, Crofton Park, Ladywell, parts of Catford, Hither Green, Beckenham (a bit further out, not sure if really cheaper but worth checking out).

katese11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:46:29

Walthamstow is an easy commute into Covent Garden (jump on the vic line then change onto the picc at Finsbury Park) but is getting expensive :/

cityangel Sat 06-Dec-14 21:05:12

East Finchley - Creighton Avenue, postcode N2
At the Barnet end:
www.martinprimary.barnet.sch.uk/uploads/Final_report_Inspection_December_2011.pdf
At the Haringay end:
www.coldfall.haringey.sch.uk/

Then:
www.fortismere.haringey.sch.uk/page/?title=Our+School&pid=10

https://richardosley.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/toby-young-fortismeres-failure-became-a-william-ellis-winner/

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1865351-Highgate-Wood-Fortismere-APS?reverse=1

Or saved for private sixth form if an option

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now