Talk

Advanced search

Reposting: is this dyslexia?

(17 Posts)
Allisgood1 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:09:56

No response on my other thread (in SN).

Not quite sure where to start...

Dd1 is 6 yrs old, year 1. Her teacher has hinted pointed out that Dd is "probably dyslexic". Having looked into this further, I'm not so sure. Here is what she does:

-gets b and d sounds mixed up when reading (not every time but pretty regular)
-a lot of her letters are backwards (d,b,p,q)
-she struggles with numbers. For example will say '57' when its '27'. Took her a long time to learn numbers 11-20 but it seemed to click over the summer and now she does pretty well with 1-100 other than sometimes getting it backwards.
-she knows all her letter sounds to fluency other than sometimes getting b and d mixed up but usually that's with words not single letter sound
-she is one of the oldest in her class but in the lowest set for spelling and maths.
-she is reading at a blue level (4) and comprehends fluently (no comprehension concerns)
-she is extremely shy, verging on selectively mute and often says "I don't know" at school if she isn't sure of the answer
-she still has to sound out high frequency words such as "had", "what" and "where". She can read "the", "a", "children"

Should I be getting her assessed for dyslexia? Or a learning disability? Or is all that quite normal?

PostPreview

Desktop site

Active

Watching

Add post

I'm on

Search

LIZS Mon 01-Dec-14 16:13:27

At 6 I think reversals especially of b and d are still common so may be premature . However if the waiting time for assessment is long it is worth getting on the lists now then not going ahead if things have resolved themselves.

FruitCakey Mon 01-Dec-14 16:26:49

I think your DD teacher is a muppet!

My DS is also 6 and still gets the same examples you give, confused at times. They're still at a critical learning age. She is doing just fine.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Dec-14 17:14:44

It's not clear cut my DD mix up letters etc. to the end of year 2, but read well. The first sign that she was dyslexic was the two year difference between reading and spelling age in year 3.
This continued to be ignored by school until I threw my toys out of the pram in year 6.
So I don't have a good answer for you yes it maybe a sign, then again it can be normal.
Other things that DD struggled with
Knowing left and right
Riding a bike- she can do it, but hates it and finds it difficult
Issues with getting to sleep (dyslexia research trust say this is very common with bright dyslexics abnormal melatonin release maybe the cause)
Can calculate her times tables, but does not 'know' them
She takes along time to getting the meaning of something processing is slow)
Teachers continually saying she didn't seem to want to try (wasn't achieving potential)

WombatStewForTea Mon 01-Dec-14 18:15:25

Yes from that I would say she does show some dyslexic tendencies - but so do on average 1 in 4 primary age children so I wouldn't panic and start hammering at an Ed Psych's door but I would be finding out how the school are dealing with their concerns.
God knows why someone is calling this teacher a muppet. Surely you'd rather it was flagged up as a possibility. There's nothing worse than when we get a new kid who is severely dyslexic or has a significant delay for another reason and the parents haven't got a clue that they're struggling.

mrz Mon 01-Dec-14 19:58:18

There is nothing in your post to suggest your daughter is anything but a normal 6 year old. It's very common for young children to confuse b/d/p/q and to reverse numbers at this stage.
If you are concerned I would keep an eye on things but I certainly wouldnt be considering a learning difficulty.

Allisgood1 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:39:21

Left vs right: she is constantly getting her shoes on the wrong feet. A sign?

Her tutor who I've employed to help her with numbers and writing is not concerned about dyslexia (also a teacher) but she's not with her everyday either.

We have meeting with SENCO next week but I know she's getting some 1:1 input supposedly

LIZS Tue 02-Dec-14 17:15:51

She might have some dyslexic traits but I'm not sure why you are so keen to look for something which you are being reassured probably isn't there. Is the school environment particularly competitive that you feel a tutor is necessary at such a young age ? There is huge variation in how quickly children pick up literacy and numeracy. Just because she is in the "lower" sets now doesn't mean she will be forever. Sounds like she has plenty of intervention already.

mrz Tue 02-Dec-14 19:21:33

No putting her shoes on the wrong feet and not knowing left from right aren't signs

Allisgood1 Tue 02-Dec-14 19:37:16

LIZS, I am only going on what the class teacher told me "she is probably dyslexic". I have had no "reassurance" otherwise.

LIZS Tue 02-Dec-14 20:45:59

Her tutor who I've employed to help her with numbers and writing is not concerned about dyslexia (also a teacher) ?

Allisgood1 Tue 02-Dec-14 22:16:21

Her tutor sees her once a week (for past 4 weeks). That's not really reassuring compared to her teacher whom sees her daily.

In any case, the purpose of this thread was to ask parents who have a child with dyslexia, or professionals who specialize in it if these symptoms sounded familiar. It was not my intention to be judged for asking, so unless you are one of these people, please move on. Thanks.

1FluffyJumper Tue 02-Dec-14 23:34:54

Completely normal for 6 years old. If she's doing same by 8 years...that's when to look into. Dyslexia prob won't be officially diagnosed by agencies till then ...where I work anyhow. I teach 6 year olds and many make these mistakes.

AnonyMust Tue 02-Dec-14 23:59:04

An experienced teacher who has spent fur hours with her would've picked up on something - especially of you'd mentioned your concern. Sounds like you're supporting her well and have your eye on things. Review again when she's nearer to 7 yrs old and these things can be tested (if still worrying you and other teachers concur with you/ original worried teacher.

LIZS Wed 03-Dec-14 07:16:10

Apologies for commenting but you don't really seem to want the opinion of someone whose dc does have a SpLD nor of teachers on here such as as mrz hmm. Get her assessed if that is what you want but at this age it is likely to be inconclusive.

mrz Wed 03-Dec-14 19:21:18

Why do you think a "label" of dyslexia is necessary? Will your child's difficulties change if you know it is or isn't dyslexia?

Madcats Wed 03-Dec-14 20:35:59

I was slightly freaked out by DD's reading in year 1. Letters were reversed and upside down all over the place (as were numbers). Once she was reading more fluently she had a particularly disconcerting habit of reading a sentence fairly fluently but reversing a word in the middle completely.

Her teacher told me not to flap..stay patient... keep encouraging...keep chatting/describing/introducing new vocabulary.

DD "got it" at about Easter time, then flew because we'd had to put drama and (sometimes silly) emphasis into stories to keep reading fun. She also jumped ahead with writing because she knew how to say the things she needed to write (okay, good grammar). One of her friends was WAY behind even that, but everything fell into place mid-way through year 2 (albeit with some extra help in school).

FWIW, I still have to shout at DD 71/2 for putting tights/blouses on back to front. Shoes on the right feet is also a bit random, but it is a complete joy to listen to her reading out loud if she is in the mood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now