Talk

Advanced search

Private assessment for 6 yo in Year 2

(15 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Dec-14 14:44:43

Right got an appointment next week to see deputy head to try and sort this level thing out. [[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2245852-What-do-these-scores-mean-re-Year-2-child Last Thread]]

So where can I get DS independently tested to find out where he currently is re reading, spelling, maths and if where he is is ok ?

Cheaper the better we are on a tight budget.

Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Dec-14 14:45:09

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2245852-What-do-these-scores-mean-re-Year-2-child

Bin85 Mon 01-Dec-14 14:46:31

Depends where you live
Somewhere like Helen Arkyll centre

Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Dec-14 17:37:20

Need something North West?

LIZS Mon 01-Dec-14 20:08:11

you need an educational psychologist either via the school or privately funded www.achippp.org.uk/directory

Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Dec-14 21:48:50

Thanks

simbacatlivesagain Mon 01-Dec-14 22:01:11

Why do you need a private assessment? What is the purpose? What do you want to achieve?

It is unlikely to be accepted by the LA for any formal SEN process.

orangepudding Mon 01-Dec-14 22:01:17

You could ask the school for an Ed psych assesment but after reading some of your other threads they don't seem very supportive.

You may just have to google for local ones.

simbacatlivesagain Mon 01-Dec-14 22:10:59

You said that your child was anxious. Does that come from you? Wont testing them make them more anxious?

It is not clear if you think there is an issue with your childs attainment and progress or if you just don't understand the assessment system.

You describe your child as bright but 'failing'. Failing at what? Children age 6 dont fail.

FATEdestiny Mon 01-Dec-14 22:19:04

Babieseverywhere

On the other thread you gave your son some of the suggested phase 3 phonics work and said that he could only do about 50%. So what is the benefit to him in reaffirming that he is under achieving?

Better instead to arrange with he school to have some dedicated intervention.

My DC2 was working towards phase 2 when he started Year 1. I know that the instinct is to find someone to 'blame' for this. I went through - this cannot be our fault since DC1 an DC3 both read well and DC2 has the same level of attention. Then 'it must be the schools fault'. Then 'his foundation teacher didn't assess him properly and failed to spot him falling behind'. Lots of blaming.

Fact is, blame doesn't matter and won't help. Getting him one-to-one help will be key.

DS had a phonics intervention program for 6 months of Year 1, which took him out of lesson for half an hour each day for dedicated reading work with a dedicated reading teacher. He is now in Year 4 and is exceeding national averages in reading (and numeracy and writing).

Babieseverywhere Tue 02-Dec-14 14:31:49

The school have told me DS does not have any SEN. He did have a CAF and was on an IEP and school action plus last year...no idea if any of this stuff is still active. But they are clear he is happy, fine, loads of friends and doing well at his work. Which would be brilliant and I hope it is all true.

At home he claims to have no friends and that he hates school. He is very difficult to get information out of.

No I never use to be anxious. I am anxious as I have a child that has stomach aches permenantly, doesn't sleep well, won't go anywhere on his own. Frequently threatens to throw himself under a car on the way to school, as he hates school so much (tbh I don't think he would ever do ut, he is just telling me how strongly he feels but just hearing it is worrying me)

Then I am told this is attitude, behaviour and threats are normal 6yo behaviour...well I find it difficult to accept and yes, dealing with this situation is MAKING me anxious.

I have an older child (DD1) that was always fine at every parents evening and continue to do well according to the teachers and has completed all the phonics.

So I was never the kind of parent to worry over levels. But DS has not moved spelling or phonics level in a year ! Surely some progress should be made.

I don't know if he is not ready to learn, not capable of learning or choosing not to learn.

I don't know whether I should leave him for a year or so and see what happens OR to get a tutor and start teaching him in the evenings and weekends till he catch up.

The school might feel he has made progress within the groups ?

Certainly I am hoping the deputy head will be able to give me a clue as to what is happening with DS (she used to teach year 2 and is up to date with all the modern curriculum, therefore knows her stuff)

Lastly the Ed Psych did come out (long story) She saw all my concerns...not listening to teacher. ..not responding to verbal instructions...not always responding or responding correctly to social interactions and he agreed with anything you said (to the point he will readily agree black is white, in order to be left alone)

She then concluded he looked fine and said he was fine (of course he would of also agreed he wasn't fine if asked) and the teachers said he was fine...so another emotional diary thing to do but no real help...she will revisit in February.

AsBrightAsAJewel Tue 02-Dec-14 16:41:31

When you say moved a phonics level what do you mean? The Letters and Sounds Phonics Stages in Year 1 and Year 2 last a year. Also what is your (or your school's) definition of a spelling level?

AsBrightAsAJewel Tue 02-Dec-14 16:42:28

Also - are you happy to share here why you had a CAF? They are opened for many reasons and most as not SN related.

Babieseverywhere Tue 02-Dec-14 17:08:46

The CAF is because of coming to school anxiety causing him to threaten to hurt himself (i.e. threatening to throw himself under cars) on the way to school. He is very compliant AT school.

AND due to his social communication difficulties (not seen at school but diagnosed by SALT). He is under a Comm Paed, awaiting social skills classes and OT assessment. School do not see him. They also can't see him shouting and spinning across the playground which he does at 99% of pickups!

Spelling wise. Last year we were told he had 4 spellings to learn to complete 'blue' two a year later we are on the same 'blue' words.

Phonics wise he moved to phase 3 during reception and stayed in this phase all through year one and to date in year two. When I spoke to his teacher about him being moved up, she was lovely but clear he still needed to learn some part of phase 3 before moving to phase 4.

Reading he is just behind at 20 when he should be 23 ending year at 28. But I think he is on track for hus reading.

No idea about maths at all....Other than he is fine.

Babieseverywhere Wed 03-Dec-14 10:08:08

We are seeing an OT later this week to see if we can get help at home with his handwriting, dressing skills and clumsyness. These things were seen by last year's teachers but since we pushed school to help (what a waste of everyone's time), this year's teacher does not see these issues.

SALT noted balance issues, as did audiology and Comm Paed noted fine and gross motor skills.

DS still leaves school with clothes on back to front or shoes on the wrong feet or buttoned incorrectly an countless "bump notices" from the staff when they see him fall. If no one sees him fall, he gets up and carries on with no fuss...
he has loads of bruises poor lad.

He is getting better at all of the above, I remember a 6 month period where as a toddler he refused to put his arms out to save himself when falling and all photos ftom thus time, he has a bruise on the same part of his forehead. He must of turned his head the same way every time !

He is brilliant at climbing mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now