Talk

Advanced search

Girls pre-prep, south or Central London?

(8 Posts)
Elfina Mon 01-Dec-14 11:01:42

Looking for some ideas of where to start. Ideally I want a very nurturing environment, but one that will push an academically able child...

EdithWeston Mon 01-Dec-14 11:13:26

Any particular areas?

The ones that spring to my minded are Francis Holland (Sloane Square), Broomwood Hall (Wandsworth), Eaton House Girls (Clapham Common), JAPS (Dulwich) and perhaps Parkgate House (also Clapham Common, coed but girl heavy).

Elfina Mon 01-Dec-14 11:51:03

We live in crystal palace. Is JAPS known for being "warm", if you know what I mean?!

ChalkyC Mon 01-Dec-14 13:34:43

I've no direct experience of JAPS, but from what I've heard, no, not really, very competitive to get in. What about Sydenham High School? I have friends with children at DUCKS who found it quite pressured from 3-4 onwards, and friends with boys at Rosemead who love it, but am not sure how academic it is.

UsernameAlreadyInUse Mon 01-Dec-14 16:07:05

Virgo Fidelis in West Norwood? I would think very hard about your commute at primary level - Dulwich schools are probably ok but I wouldn't want to be crossing the river or trying to get to Battersea or Wandsworth from Crystal Palace.

minipie Mon 01-Dec-14 16:18:45

In Wandsworth Broomwood Hall and Finton House would both match your description. Finton marginally more nurturing, Broomwood marginally more academic but both are good at both. Bit of a horror of a commute from Crystal Palace though.

I went to JAPS many years ago - it was academically competitive to get in but actually not very pushy or competitive once in (no public sharing of results etc, and since most went on to JAGS there wasn't a big 11+ push/stress either). But I wouldn't say it was "nurturing", pastoral care was more benign neglect iirc! All that is many years out of date however and both aspects may have changed.

Elfina Mon 01-Dec-14 19:23:32

Does anyone have experience of Virgo Fedilis? Am slightly

pinkdelight Tue 02-Dec-14 09:50:24

Sydenham is the obvious choice. Have heard good things from a friend who sent her shy but able DD there. It means a lot to be close to home, esp for building friendships. I'm in SE19 and no way would I take my LOs further afield than Dulwich at primary age - no good having a nurturing school but 2+ hours of transport trauma every day. My neighbour's kids went to Virgo and it is very nurturing and her DC did well academically but it's not the no1 choice for academics. Pay it a visit, but also definitely consider Sydenham and the Dulwich schools (DUCKS, Oakfield, Rosemead etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now