Talk

Advanced search

TA has annoyed me- advice before 8.30 great!!

(13 Posts)
tallskinnylatte Thu 27-Nov-14 07:42:57

Hi
Yesterday I walked home from school with my DD (Y1) and her little friend and along the way were to chatting to one of the TAs for their year who lives near us. The TA is not young- 30s? but is in training still. Seems perfectly nice etc. We stopped when we got to ours and were saying goodbye, see you at school tomorrow and the kids were planning whether to make things when we got into the house etc, when she said that DD was really good at art and craft , then looked at DD's friend and said that "X is really good at everything." DDs friend standing right next to as and definitely heard as smiled a bit- TA said "modest too". While I don't have a problem with her assessment of DDs friend- she is very advanced in her reading etc- I do think it was completely inappropriate to a) say something like that to me and b) say it in front of the child. My DD was off playing a few feet away so didn't hear. Am I being oversensitive? Is this something that should be mentioned - to her? Or the kids' class teacher (who's very experienced and I'd sort of prefer this as I'd trust her judgement as to whether to mention it to the TA). Or is it safe to assume that if she's a bit careless in how she talks about the kids it will get picked up by one of the other more experienced TAs or teachers? I realise I probably am being oversensitive- there are a couple of really bright kids and they're DDs friends. DD is also bright and articulate but not as advanced in her reading and tends to drift off into her imagination a lot (which is hardly the end of the word for a 5yr old but that's another issue!)
Reading this it looks completely a bit silly but any thoughts?

LuckyLopez Thu 27-Nov-14 07:46:52

I think you're being over sensitive. It sound like she complimented your dd, then realised she should do the sand to your dd's friend and couldn't think of anything specific without it sounding wanky.

Just leave it honestly, it wasn't said to slight you or your dd.

LuckyLopez Thu 27-Nov-14 07:48:23

Sorry for typos but hope you can read it!

GoldenMama Thu 27-Nov-14 07:48:43

I think you may have taken it a little the wrong way, its likely that the TA was complimenting you on your DD (DD being out of earshot) and then because the friend was stood right there she got some compliments too.
You could mention it to the teacher if you feel upset by it or DD becomes upset of course. smile

grassroots Thu 27-Nov-14 07:49:43

Don't take it personally. Today is a new day. Let it go.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 27-Nov-14 07:50:35

I don't see a problem really.

Thehedgehogsong Thu 27-Nov-14 07:51:14

Maybe she just wanted to compliment the friend too because she'd complimented your DD, and couldn't think of anything so just said 'everything'. I think it's normal to tell kids they're clever/special when they're younger. I'm sure she meant no harm.

goshhhhhh Thu 27-Nov-14 07:51:29

I also think you are being over sensitive. you risk turning it into something it isn't.

Coconutty Thu 27-Nov-14 07:53:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toomanyhouseguests Thu 27-Nov-14 08:02:00

I think the previous posters have it right. She was complimenting your DD and then realised she had inadvertently slighted the girl that was standing nearby and stumbled through vague compliment for her too.

She may have been clumsy, but she meant well and obviously feels warmly towards your DD.

She probably walked away thinking Doh! And knowing she had been awkward. I'd assume that she had just learned a lesson and meant no harm.

tallskinnylatte Thu 27-Nov-14 08:07:12

This is why I love Mumsnet!! A healthy dose of reality instilled. Thanks folks- all gone.
Prob not helped by said DD deciding she needed to cling to me limpet like most of the night so I'm feeling a bit tired!

JustSpeakSense Thu 27-Nov-14 08:15:29

I also think you're being over sensitive. If you were going to say something, it would have had to have been immediately and to her directly, but complaining to the school etc. would be OTT.

I do understand your irritation though, but it sounds as if she is very fond of your DD.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 27-Nov-14 08:20:04

Could she have said the modest too bit with a wink or some inflection when she spoke?

By saying she was good at everything, then adding the modest bit makes me think she was having a joke with you about how te other children KNOWS she is good at everything, and assumed you had also experienced that with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now