Talk

Advanced search

Shrewsbury High Prep School

(7 Posts)
H0neysuckle Mon 24-Nov-14 17:00:02

Trying again!! Anyone know anything about SHPS?? Looks good on website? We are moving to the area and welcome any suggestions DD 6 so looking for in year spaces.

lightahead Tue 25-Nov-14 19:45:22

Have you also considered prestfelde in Shrewsbury? Dcs have been very happy there, nothing wrong with Shrewsbury high prep which was formed from a boys and girls prep joining together a few years ago. I actually went there many years ago. not particularly happy time as was quite snobby but it was many years ago.

H0neysuckle Wed 26-Nov-14 09:56:22

Think SHPS is geographically better for us. Do you know if there is a good gender balance? Do you know anything about the head/acting head?

lightahead Wed 26-Nov-14 19:23:47

Sorry don't know about the head, probably slightly more girls than boys, it is the main feeder school for the girls high school, many girls start in the nursery and stay for A levels. It is very close to the girls high school which has excellent results. Shrewsbury school is becoming fully co-ed so don't know if this will impact in the future, but you are a long way off that yet. Also in the area state secondary The Priory excellent.

babyfedleaning Wed 26-Nov-14 19:57:54

Just replied to your first thread! It's a super school, warm, friendly, excellent results, great facilities. Gender balance is pretty good now, much improved from a few years ago (when Kingsland Grange (boys only) - as it was- was taken over by SHS (girls only).

I too went to SHS but didn't find it snobby, everyone's different!

Acting head is not an issue

AndreaJ1976 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:46:17

HOneysuckle, did you decide on a school? There are many fine schools in the area but it is so important that it is the 'right one' for your child. I recall many sleepless nights deciding before eventually going with my 'gut instinct'.
The High School is very good but not perfect. I have heard the head described as a bit of a 'car salesman'! Go and see and decide for yourself and good luck with whatever you choose.

Chilledchardonnay Tue 03-Feb-15 18:02:09

We are very lucky as we have so much choice when it comes to schools in and around Shrewsbury both in the private and state sector. You may need to consider your future senior school. If you want your DD to go to Shrewsbury School as it is fully coed now, you will need to go to Prestfelde as SHP do not do Common Entrance for girls as they are all expected to move to seniors for year 7. My friend moved her DD from SHP to Prestfelde for this very reason as she wanted her to go to Shrewsbury School because it has great facilities, consistent Oxbridge successes year on year and is coed. If you want all girls for your DD then SHP will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: