Talk

Advanced search

Year 2 reading/writing

(10 Posts)
DarceyBustle Mon 24-Nov-14 09:14:35

We do not live in the UK and our son is being educated through his second language at school. English is part of the curriculum and they follow the UK system-ish for reading, although they are only this year starting to learn to read. We have been "teaching" him to read using phonics for the last couple of years.

Anyway we will probably be going back to the UK at the end of this school year and I don't want him to be massively behind his classmates. Last week he was given a Turquoise band book for the first time. Where would this place him in your/your child's class?
Also, what sort of written work would a child at this level be producing.

Apologies for being neurotic about it, but humour me anyway.

LittleMissGreen Mon 24-Nov-14 09:38:41

According to reading chest turquoise is appropriate for beginning of year 2. So no need to be neurotic at all smile.

DarceyBustle Mon 24-Nov-14 09:51:09

Thanks. Do you find that to be Accurate? I have nothing to assess against, which obviously feeds my neuroticism confused

LittleMissGreen Mon 24-Nov-14 10:51:04

My boys have always been considered by the school to be a little ahead in reading and they have always been slightly ahead of the reading chest chart so I think it is fairly accurate.

noramum Mon 24-Nov-14 13:28:57

I think most children in DD's class were around Gold at the end of Y2 with a couple of White band and free reader.

So I would say he is on track. Saying that you may want to get a bit more practice done depending how serious his school is taken reading in English.

sugarhoops Mon 24-Nov-14 13:58:36

Yes this sounds completely fine - my DS was turquoise at some point in yr2 (can't actually remember what time of year). He finished on gold or white, and now in yr3 (junior school) they've changed all the bandings so i've no idea where he is, but i've been told he's 10months ahead of his chronological age for reading, so your DS sounds completely on track in comparison to where my DS was at that stage.

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 24-Nov-14 14:27:36

I think turquoise is perfectly acceptable at this stage of Yr2. There is a child in my daughter's yr2 class who speaks no English having just started this term, there are others who are still on very low book bands I believe from what she has commented on and quite a few who are very confidently reading chapter books. So I wouldn't worry about the reading. Once they get to turquoise and start reading much more variety of texts because they can tackle so many 'normal' or nonscheme books I think they often progress quickly.

With regards to writing - I haven't seen any class work really from DD this year but they write stories on certain topics, I think last year there was a lot of retelling of fairy tales in their own words, they have written up school trips and book reviews and I think recording science experiments too. So I think the main thing is to try and ensure confidence in vocabulary to be able to write a variety of styles of text. (when I say writing up science experiments I am assuming it has been a case of 'we did this, then we did that then this happened' rather than method and conclusions but I could be wrong, I am only going by what she has mentioned to me).

Spellings wise lots of schools don't do spellings now but ours does, still mostly on a sound and then the different ways to spell it in different words.

Passthecake30 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:35:35

My yr 2 ds is on turquoise at the moment, the school is happy enough with him as it is within the Oxford Books band for his age but I know for a fact that he is one of the poorer readers in his class (he is doing an intervention group for reading/literacy).

rollonthesummer Mon 24-Nov-14 14:42:34

Turquoise is about a 1A. That obviously won't tell you much about their writing though. In y2, I've had 1a readers that were level 2 writers and some that were 1c writers.

junkfoodaddict Mon 24-Nov-14 16:57:28

Turquoise means different things depending on the 'scheme' you are following. It is expected of Y2 according to the book banding system. This bands most guided reading texts from different schemes together in specific colour bands to allow schools to utilise more than one scheme.
What is your child's age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now