Talk

Advanced search

What non-scheme books would my ds be able to read?

(10 Posts)
lunar1 Sat 22-Nov-14 20:41:24

Ds is 6 and currently on the Orange book band. He has started taking a book to bed to read on his own (still out loud). He has got through all our Julia Donaldson books and a few of the Dr Seuss set.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books he can read that have a good story but are a similar level. He loves to read and I want to make sure it's fun rather than hard work.

nonicknameseemsavailable Sat 22-Nov-14 20:57:32

here are some leveled non scheme books.

Book Band 6 – Orange
Annie Rose is my Little Sister – Shirley Hughes
Mr Pod and Mr Picalilli – Penny Dolan
Peace at Last – Jill Murphy
This is the Bear – Sarah Hayes

Book Band 7 – Turquoise
The Elephant and the Bad Baby – Elfrida Vipont
The Fish Who Could Wish – John Bush
Funnybones – Janet and Allan Ahlberg
Mog and the Baby – Judith Kerr
Mr Tubs is Lost – Bel Mooney
My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes – Eve Sutton
A Squash and a Squeeze – Julia Donaldson
Sleep Tight Little Bear – Martin Waddell

Book Band 8 – Purple
The Elmer Books – David McKee
The Winnie the Witch Books – Valerie Thomas
Magic Lemonade – Joyce Dunbar
Owl Babies – Martin Waddell
Follow the Swallow – Julia Donaldson
Most Usborne Beginners non fiction books

simpson Sat 22-Nov-14 23:01:38

Topsy & Tim?

lunar1 Sun 23-Nov-14 10:44:29

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to see Elmar books are not too far off. I bought a bag of ten from the book people a couple of years ago. I can't believe he is not far off being able to read them himself.

The book people have a set of 31 project x books. Is anyone familiar with them to know if they would be any good?

toomuchicecream Sun 23-Nov-14 12:02:50

If you look at the ORT website, Project X is aimed at older children who are finding reading hard. So you are likely to find content less appropriate for a 6 year old.

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Nov-14 12:12:19

If you got to www.oxfordowl.co.uk and create a free account, they have 250 free ebooks from various reading schemes on there. There are quite a few Project X ones so you could get him to give them a try before parting with cash.

tonsattingforbjudes Sun 23-Nov-14 16:05:05

Try the Happy Families series by Allan Ahlberg. They are sometimes available as a set with the Book People. They'll possibly be a bit hard but are funny and generally go down well with boys. With a bit of help he should be able to manage most of the text.

catkind Sun 23-Nov-14 17:30:06

DS is Yr 1 and officially speaking on orange book band though I'd like to think he's reading a bit better than that at home.

The project X alien adventures ones were fine here. And DS told me to turn off Ben and Holly this weekend because it was too scary, so he's quite timid content-wise. They're levels 7-11, but probably easier than that at the higher levels if you start at the beginning and work through because they're familiar with the style and vocab.

Dr Seuss went down well here too. Also currently popular are Pirate Penguins (Frank Rodgers), Pirate School (Jeremy Strong, a little harder), Winnie the Witch, Happy Families.

nonicknameseemsavailable Sun 23-Nov-14 20:36:14

to be honest once they are level 6-7ish I don't think there would be much point with the scheme books for at home. He can now tackle the vast majority of picture books, Usborne Beginners books, some of the Early Reader books but will just need help in places or take a bit longer with them.

cornflakegirl Sun 23-Nov-14 20:44:10

DS2 has just been put on to turquoise books at school, and he reads whatever picture books he feels like at home. He can have a good go at nearly all the words, so the main deciding factor seems to be how many words / sentences there are on s page. I far prefer listening to him read proper books with actual stories!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now