Talk

Advanced search

Is it usual for KS1 and KS2 children to play in the same playground at break times?

(14 Posts)
3catsnokids Thu 20-Nov-14 12:46:30

I have 2 foster children, in Year 1 and Year 2 and, although their primary school has 2 separate playgrounds, at break times they are all allowed to play wherever they want.

My 2 sometimes complain about older boys chasing them, grabbing their hats etc and the other day my youngest boy was sworn at.

My 2 are no angels, and I do suspect that they taunt the older boys when they should leave them alone, but it seems a bit unusual to me to have all of the children playing in the same area. When I was at primary school the juniors had their playground and the infants had theirs. I've worked in several other schools with separate playgrounds too, but I'm just curious as to what is the 'norm' these days?

treaclesoda Thu 20-Nov-14 12:51:20

My DD's school has separate playgrounds for younger and older children but when I was at primary school, in a much bigger school, we didn't have separate playgrounds. I was quite surprised by it when I saw it at my DD's school, not because I think it's strange or anything but just because it's different to what I had experienced at school. I think it's a good idea actually.

bearwithspecs Thu 20-Nov-14 12:51:37

I think it depends on size of school and space. Two near us only have one playground but at least one staggers the lunch breaks. Ours has 4 different play grounds as its a huge school.

CantBeBotheredThinking Thu 20-Nov-14 12:57:19

None of the schools near me separate ks1 and ks2 for lunch and break times, all have just the one playground and the same times.

PastSellByDate Thu 20-Nov-14 14:32:45

My DDs (now Y7 and Y5) have attended two different primary schools - the issue is often space or dominance of desire to play football. The space needed for football can mean other children have to play elsewhere.

KS2 should have less break time than KS1 - so often morning break is just KS1 and YR (YR often in their own playground).

I know some schools opt for staggered breaks if space is limited - so whilst KS1 are eating lunch/ KS2 are playing outside - for example.

DD1s school (which had severely reduced playground space after expanding) - did something to help with mix of older with younger pupils by appointing playground buddies from KS2 upper - who took their job very seriously - keeping a benign eye on things, getting help if someone was hurt, encouraging play, solving minor disputes, etc....

HTH

Towanda Thu 20-Nov-14 14:38:10

Dc's school has YR, KS1 and KS2 in the playground for morning break. At lunchtime, YR are in their own playground (split into two areas) with KS1 and 2 together in the main playground. KS1 are on their own at afternoon break.

They have a separate, fenced off ball court for those who want to play football which means the rest of the school has plenty of space to play in.

Fragglewump Thu 20-Nov-14 14:40:14

Yes and no. Depends on the school and their space/philosophy. I've taught in schools that do both.

Fuzzymum1 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:07:06

Morning playtime is split by time rather than space - the younger ones go out at 10.45 and the older ones at 11. Lunchtime they all play together. It's a small school (around 100 pupils) and has a lovely family atmosphere and I like that the littler ones get to play with the older ones.

mrz Thu 20-Nov-14 17:45:22

It depends on the size of the school and its layout.

Bunnyjo Thu 20-Nov-14 20:33:29

As others have said, it depends on the school and its layout. My DC's school has less than 70 kids in the entire school and the school playground and playing field is huge; it is definitely large enough to separate into separate playing areas. However all kids, from nursery to Year 6, play in the same space and it really works.

They are an awesome bunch of kids; the older ones really look after the younger ones. My youngest is in nursery and the Year 5/6 girls love playing with him at lunchtime and he loves the attention!

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 21-Nov-14 09:39:13

My kids school has a small playground used by ks1 and a bigger one for ks2. There is also a massive playing field thats used in good weather all year round, and both ks1 and ks2 play on this together, though it's so big there's space for several football matches at once and for other play too. Reception kids play in a small fenced off area just outside their classroom for the first part of reception, but after they have settled in join the ks1 kids.

antarctic Fri 21-Nov-14 09:41:01

At my DC's school they all play in the same playground, but they go into lunch at different times so KS1 have some time in the playground without the older ones there.

TeenKitten Wed 26-Nov-14 20:19:52

We have KS1 at one end and KS2 at the other but there is no physical divide so the middle section is a mix. This works well because a lot of the kids have friends in the year above/below them, e.g. year 3s being friends with year 2s.

fatterface Wed 26-Nov-14 20:21:50

My DSs go to a smallish (1 form entry) school with one playground. Reception also have their own little playground but everyone is out together after lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now