Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School Transfer

(5 Posts)
blibblibs Wed 19-Nov-14 20:27:47

We are moving to a new area at christamas and I'm sitting here filling in the school application forms and have myself a bit of a dilemma.

I spent alot of time phoning around schools once we'd decided where we might like to live and each one told me that they were full and wouldn't be able to fit the DC in.

I then phoned the council to ask there advice, which was to just find a house, apply for the local schools as they had a duty to find us something.

A few days later one of the schools phoned me back and told me that they had had a think about and they would be able to fit both DC in after all. Its a good school and the website looks great and the woman I spoke to was lovely, the only problem is, its not within walking distance or even the same town so I would have to drive them to school everyday.

There are two schools in the town that we will be moving too, one good, one outstanding and both within walking distance. I haven't had a chance to visit any of them so can only judge by the ofstead report and the websites.

So back to my dilemma, do I just put the school that can take them as my first choice or do I put the other two schools within walking distance down first? I'm worried they may end up at different school, which would then involve me appealing and time is cracking on. Only four weeks left till the end of term and I'm hoping that they would start after the christmas holidays and that they would get a visit in to their new school before the end of term.

Sorry, this has turned out much longer than it should be and there is probably an easy answer but I'm starting to panic now that the move is only 4 weeks away and I haven't packed a single box

wine to anyone that got this far.

beautifulgirls Wed 19-Nov-14 21:30:21

If you can drive them and fit this in around work and life, then I would out down the school down that is keen and willing. The very fact that they were able to make a decision and further consider your request sounds like a willing school. It will be great to have them both at the same school too. Just be aware though, although the school say they can take them it may be the LA decision ultimately as in most cases they are the authority who administers the intake - there is a chance that the LA may not agree with what the school are saying so check this out for sure first.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Nov-14 22:20:12

Put the schools in your order of preference. If any of them has a place available they must offer you that place. They cannot offer another school unless all the schools you name are full.

If you name the local schools as first and second choice and are offered a place at a school over 3 miles away (2 miles if your child is under 8) your child will be entitled to free transport to and from school. However, if you name the school that can take them as first choice and get offered a place there you will not be entitled to free transport.

catkind Thu 20-Nov-14 00:08:21

Tricky, because while they're obliged to offer you a place if there is one available they're not obliged to offer you the same school for both kids. I think that's what you're worried about, not another school as in a different school completely, right? How old are they? Would it be manageable at all having them in two different places?

If it was us and if we could manage a plan B I think I would probably go for the local schools anyway. Long term it will be much pleasanter to be at school close to home. I don't know how far the next town is for you but we have only a 4 mile drive at the moment and it's rubbish. Spend so much of the day to-ing and fro-ing.

blibblibs Thu 20-Nov-14 07:34:47

Thank you, but still have no idea what I'm going to do.

Yes catkind thats my main worry that and when we first move I won't have a job so I suppose different schools would be manageable but the DC wouldn't like it. They are in Y1 & Y2 and one would really struggle being on their own, the other I think would cope. And I'm hoping not to be jobless for too long and I don't really want the school situation dictating my employment avalibility.

The other school is only 3 miles away but it is a different village. I suppose we've just been very spoilt here in that we can walk to the school and there was never a question that they wouldn't get it.

Do you think its worth phoning the admissions deptarment and asking there advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now