Talk

Advanced search

Y3 writing problems; have been told to go back to basics, can anyone help.

(9 Posts)
Marcelinewhyareyousomean Mon 17-Nov-14 19:45:51

Ds (7) has never liked writing. In YR, he did literacy with Y1 and I think he missed a much needed foundation of letter formation. The way he does some of his letters is crazy and he won't be able to do joined up writing. For example his d is neat but he starts from the tail and goes back on himself.

His teacher has said he needs to practise at home. Any ideas for writing sheets? Should I get him to write the problem letters or practise sentences?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 17-Nov-14 20:17:36

I would do individual letters. I think there'll be a temptation for him to revert to poor formation when writing a sentence.

I would get him to practice them/introduce them in groups as well. That way you can reinforce the correct movements. There are a couple of different ways to group them but this is one way:

c, o, a, d, g, q, s, f
l, t, i, j,
r, n, m
h, b, k, p
u, y
v, w, x
e, z

Exactly how you group the might depend on the school's handwriting policy though. Could you ask for a copy of the style they teach? You might know what you are aiming for then.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 17-Nov-14 20:23:34

Also, sit with him while he does it so you can make sure he is following the correct sequence of movements and correct him if he switches back to what he's used to.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Mon 17-Nov-14 20:37:54

There has been no suggestion yet about what the practise will be. He gets loads of homework and I expect we'll get sheets home. He did RML but I think its something else now but I don't know what blush . His teacher is fab, I want to support what she's doing but don't know how. He has been very unhappy at school and has started feeling better this half term.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Mon 17-Nov-14 20:38:11

oh and thanks blush

JimmyCorkhill Mon 17-Nov-14 20:43:05

You can get an app called 'Hairy Letters' which is very cheap (£2 ish). Part of it is writing individual letters with your finger on the screen. They have to be correct to win. It's great fun, a bit too young for him but something he can practise in the car. There's no pressure as there's no record of what he's done (like there is on paper).

Lindy2 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:17:17

Eggy alphabet is a free app by reading eggs. Its another app where you have to form the letter correctly with your finger on the screen.

Imperialleather2 Wed 03-Dec-14 20:58:13

Our school uses read write inc. there are little rhymes which go with an associated picture which helps with letter formation.

Ds is in reception, August born and left handed amd he can do all his letters correctly (please don't think in showing off im just trying to show how good it is) When he's writing them he says the rhyme and forms the letter, I'm pretty sure that without that scheme he wouldn't be to the standard he is.

mydaftlass Wed 03-Dec-14 21:02:34

Blobble write is a simple, free app.
Letts have handwriting books with a wizard theme - Hilarious Handwriting is one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now