Talk

Advanced search

Does your school promote the 48 hour rule?

(29 Posts)
Linnielou5 Mon 17-Nov-14 12:48:53

Hi, so my lb was sick on Saturday, he wasn't ill before hand and was sick a couple of times. Yesterday he was a bit tired but was eating and this morning ate all his breakfast so I sent him to school only to get a phone call saying he had to be clear 48 hours and could I collect him. I thought it was 24 hours for vomiting and 48 for diarrhea. There is a sickness bug doing the rounds for the past few weeks so surely the school should be reminding parents of there sickness policy, do your kids schools? I was made to feel like a selfish parent sending my child to school but he is fine and has been since yesterday and he hadn't been sick for over 24hours which I thought was enough.

LadyintheRadiator Mon 17-Nov-14 12:54:35

They remind us often as so many people seem unaware, and friends have had their DC turned away when trying to leave them after less than 48 hours.

Quenelle Mon 17-Nov-14 13:07:35

Yes they do. It's well publicised at DS's school, no parent can reasonably plead ignorance about it.

This bug is going through our school like wildfire at the moment. I and a few other parents were delighted when a girl in DS's class was sick in the classroom. Apparently she had been sick in the night but seemed OK in the morning so her parents sent her in hmm

A friend's son was off from a different school with the same thing last week and his mum sent him back to school within a day and a half. She knew the 48 hour rule but thought 36 was close enough. I was surprised the school didn't send him home again but obviously not all schools do enforce it.

HaplessHousewife Mon 17-Nov-14 13:09:18

My school told me that, legally, they aren't allowed to insist on 48 hours and that as long as the child seems OK and is eating normally they can come back... I've never actually checked it though. I rang and asked because one of the mums said their child was sick on Sunday morning but they'd turned up to school on Monday.

They did send a letter last winter when a particularly nasty bug was going around asking us not to send them in for 48 hours.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Nov-14 13:12:21

its 48 hours for both V & D.

Wozald1989 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:53:32

Ours is 24...

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Nov-14 14:08:16

health protection agency gives guidance as 48 hours

Quenelle Mon 17-Nov-14 14:36:16

DS was sick throughout one night and then not sick again until 24 hours later. If I'd only kept him off for 24 hours he would most likely have thrown up on arrival at school. 48 hours does seem safer if the school doesn't want it to keep being passed round.

Linnielou5 Mon 17-Nov-14 14:45:03

This bug has been around for a few weeks and the school has sent out nothing so I just assumed it was 24hrs since he was sick, ive always known 48hrs for diarrhea,and as he was eating again yesterday thought he would be fine, he was crying when I collected him as he wanted to stay �� tbh the school is pretty hopeless when it comes to telling parents anything!

o0 Mon 17-Nov-14 14:59:49

48 hours at my DS's school.

When I phoned in to say he'd be off that day they explained the 48h thing then (I hadn't known).

AugustRose Mon 17-Nov-14 15:03:30

Our school didn't enforce anything until last easter when about 70% of our small primary (50 kids) went down with a sickness bug within 3 days. I know other schools nearby try to enforce 48 hours and I usually do it anyway.

Poledra Mon 17-Nov-14 15:14:00

48 hours in our school and , when I phoned up to explain why my DC wouldn't be in that day, the secretary politely said 'Ah, poor thing. I'll mark her off tomorrow as well then, as she cannot come back in for 48 hours and it'll save you calling tomorrow. I hope she's better soon.' I thought this was a nice civil way to remind me about the 48 hour rule!

GoodKingQuintless Mon 17-Nov-14 15:16:25

To be honest, they should not have to keep reminding, it is 48 hours for either d or v, and it is pretty standard throughout schools and nurseries.

Fuzzymum1 Mon 17-Nov-14 15:58:09

Yes that's the rue at our school though it's not well publicized or enforced. DS was sick once after school on a tuesday and was fine within seconds - I spoke to the secretary to double check their rules and she said 48 hours so he stayed home for two days bored rigid - better that than spreading it to everyone if he was still infectious.

crazykat Mon 17-Nov-14 16:12:40

Ours is 48 hrs after the last episode. Its regularly in the weekly newsletter.

Yet there are still parents trying to send kids to school when they've been sick the night before. One mum sent her dd in when she'd been sick early hours of the morning and ranted about having to go back and pick her dd up.

I know its annoying having to keep kids off even though they've bounced back and driving you insane but its not fair passing it on to others. The last two winters I was dreading my kids getting it as my mum was terminally ill and one of us getting d&v could have cost me two weeks of not seeing her and that time was so precious.

DaisyFlowerChain Mon 17-Nov-14 16:16:22

Yes and it's heavily enforced. Parents are reminded when collecting or ringing in for sick children and staff are made aware of the earliest return date so that parents can't get away with sending back early.

mrz Mon 17-Nov-14 18:00:20

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Yourchildatschool/Pages/Illness.aspx

ClaimedByMe Mon 17-Nov-14 18:07:11

48 hours here and the rule is enforced heavily by regular letters and when you call to say your dc is ill you are told, there is a child with cancer at school at the moment and they are trying to be on top of ill children.

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 17-Nov-14 20:44:19

as someone with suppressed immunity it is very important that people do follow it. I can't believe how many people say they don't know it is 48hrs. The advice has been 48hrs for some years now. It might be a minor unpleasant inconvenience to some people but to others it can be very nasty.

hippo123 Mon 17-Nov-14 20:54:09

24 hours in my dc's school

mrz Mon 17-Nov-14 21:18:21

I'm shocked at the number of schools not following Dept of Education guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/353953/Guidance_on_infection_control_in_schools_11_Sept.pdf it states 48hours after the last incidence of vomiting or diarrhoea

hippo123 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:19:57

Could it be different in Scotland / wales mrs?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Nov-14 21:24:04

no I am in Scotland and it is 48 hours here too

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Nov-14 21:25:47

www.documents.hps.scot.nhs.uk/hai/infection-control/guidelines/exclusion-criteria-childcare-A3-2011-12.pdf

Linnielou5 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:34:44

I genuinly thought it was 24hours for sickness and it's probably because my last job had that policy and that was a school. I thought back to last time my dd had a tummy bug (d & v) I called the school on a Monday to say I was keeping her off as she had it on the Saturday and the secretary said yeah your probably best to ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now