Talk

Advanced search

Moving during reception admissions - help!

(8 Posts)
rWoody Sat 15-Nov-14 22:10:15

Hope someone can advise regarding our house move during reception admissions time.... I am unable to get a clear answer from my LA.

We are in the middle of a move, pushing towards exchange of contracts as soon as possible. We are selling our current home to move into the new one, so will not be owning multiple properties. Reception application deadline is January 15th, with Feb 14th being the date for 'full shut down of the system'. With some luck we will have exchanged contracts by January 15th, but really doubt if we'll be in the new property by then, or even if we are, that we'd have been there long enough to get utility bills, etc.

We are a bit worried that we will be rejected by our preferred school (1 street away from our new address) for either of the following reasons:
1 - We have to file an application before Jan 15th based on our current address and then have to update our application with the new address and new preferred school after Jan 15th because we haven't completed by then (will we be penalised/considered late for not having our address and school preference locked by Jan 15th?)
2 - We can only support our application (before Jan 15th, or even before the Feb 14th cut off) with a 'letter of exchange' from our solicitor, but no further documentation in terms of utility bills etc

Really appreciate any guidance on this.

prh47bridge Sat 15-Nov-14 23:15:00

I would need to know which LA is involved to give a definitive answer. PM me if you don't want to post the information publicly.

PagingDrFaggot Sat 15-Nov-14 23:30:36

I have the same problem! Spectacularly unhelpful phone call with the admissions team last week , when I hung up I was more confused than when I started . Do you mind if I also PM you ?

rWoody Sun 16-Nov-14 00:33:46

Thanks prh47bridge, have sent you a PM with more details. Tricky timing for a move I know...

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Sun 16-Nov-14 23:22:38

We are also stuck in the same problem. Currently we work where we want to move to 25 miles away in a different authority. I have been advised that you have to apply to the autority where you live but that we can apply where we are moving to. Currently working out which schools are good but not oversubscribed as we are very likely to miss feb deadline confused

westcountrywoman Mon 17-Nov-14 06:09:05

We were in similar situation last year. Luckily the sale/purchase was quick and we were in the new house by the Jan deadline.
My plan was to put down the new address anyway providing we'd reached the point of exchange and the move was therefore almost certain. I'm not sure if you LA is different but ours didn't require proof of address on application and I figured that by the time they checked this out, we'd be well into the new house anyway.

prh47bridge Mon 17-Nov-14 09:36:43

If you are in London you must apply before the mid-January deadline to the authority where you live. If you move after submitting your application you have until mid-February to update your application with the new address without being treated as a late application. You may also be allowed to change your preferences at the same time provided the LA for your new address agrees that the move is sufficiently significant to justify this.

Outside London the rules vary from LA to LA. You need to check the admissions booklet for the LA where you will be living after you have moved.

PlasticPinkFlamingo Mon 17-Nov-14 15:11:22

I know of one London borough that has a late for good reasons deadline of 14 February. When we moved house, we completed the day before the final, final deadline and rushed down to the Town Hall with a letter from our solicitor. I registered for Council tax after I'd dropped off the application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now