Talk

Advanced search

school fundraising

(14 Posts)
wilasabex Fri 14-Nov-14 08:33:46

Ds' s school has a bag packing slot at local supermarket to raise money for school trip.
But only families who can attend will get money taken off their trip cost (£300). I think this is unfair to families who cannot go along. It's on a Sunday with less than 2 weeks notice. I also think this encourages taking part in fundraising for purely selfish motives.
Interested to hear other opinions on this.

Greenandcabbagelooking Fri 14-Nov-14 08:47:08

I think it's entirely fair. Why should someone who didn't do any packing benefit from the proceeds.

I've done this with Guides. Once we had the total raised, we worked out an hourly rate and deducted the rate x the number of hours each Guide had worked.

They did get more than two weeks' notice though. That bit isn't on.

wilasabex Fri 14-Nov-14 09:42:06

For the record, I am prepared to do it but feel uncomfortable about getting financial gain from it when others who might need the rebate more might not be able to participate, so it's not that I want a discount on the back of the work of others. wink

Also I feel a bit uncomfortable that in Chldren in Need week and when there are so many charities who could use the funds; a small bunch of financially comfortable mummies are taking the slot to save themselves a few quid.

JustAShopGirl Fri 14-Nov-14 10:05:46

I think it encourages getting off your bum to raise money for something you want to do - rather than just getting mummy and daddy to pay for it for you.

If you are worried about the "unfairness" due to some people's inability to pay, then "donate" your rebate to someone else.

AuntieStella Fri 14-Nov-14 10:14:23

I think it is unfair, because two weeks notice is insufficient.

If the school wants to raise money to subsidise a trip, then they need to be much clearer much earlier if events fall outside the school day. And I think it would be better if funds raised collectively were distributed to the whole community (to all, or to those known to be in more straitened circumstances).

I think it's inevitable that there will be some families more willing/able to do any kind of fundraising (the perpetual thorn in side of any PTA).

DaisyFlowerChain Fri 14-Nov-14 23:14:13

Of course it's fair, why should those that don't put in the hard work benefit? Two weeks notice is plenty, it's perhaps the only slot the supermarket had free and they don't want to turn it down.

I do disagree with fundraising to fund a trip, I'm all for charity but trips should be funded by parents not strangers.

wilasabex Sat 15-Nov-14 18:37:42

Daisyflowerchain has hit it on the head. Parents that signed up to a trip knowing the full cost shouldn't be asking others to pay for it. smile smile

BreconBeBuggered Sat 15-Nov-14 22:15:30

I always feel a bit ratty when bagpackers turn out to be raising money to subsidise a trip. However, the supermarket will have allocated the date, so try not to feel too annoyed at the organisers about the short notice.

JustAShopGirl Sun 16-Nov-14 08:48:49

they are not "asking" others to pay for it - they are getting up off their comfy sofas, going out on a Sunday, at short notice, giving up their free time and doing something - rather than sitting back expecting the bank of mum and dad to cough up everything.

TrojanWhore Sun 16-Nov-14 08:57:08

I would never make an assumption that unavailability outside school hours, for a specific slot and on a Sunday was remotely connected to comfy sofas.

And of course those making the effort do benefit from a reduction if everyone benefits.

I suppose the underlying issue is mutually supportive community all through, or individual profit from community activity.

capsium Sun 16-Nov-14 09:09:56

This is not charity, though, this is earning some money to subsidise a trip.

If it were organised like a charity the money would go to the most needy, regardless of who had done the fund raising.

So the question is really how you feel about children working. Tbh, depending on the age, they might be able to earn more elsewhere being properly employed. If they are too young to be employed, they shouldn't be doing this.

capsium Sun 16-Nov-14 10:08:31

Oh, I see this is Primary. The children definitely should not be 'put out to work' then, to part pay for their way, on a school trip.

The people that cannot pay for school trips, should generally be covered by pupil premium, if not, then the trip is too expensive.

Otherwise by all means fund raise, but this should be organised as a charity. Why would it be fair to discriminate against children with less well off parents? That is making them work for their trip. Because the well off ones don't really need their child to raise funds to subsidise their school trips (so they can be more easily excused for not pitching in?). Maybe the poorer parents have to work at the weekends themselves, do their 'proper jobs'...

I agree with the OP, the whole thing IMO seems distasteful.

wilasabex Sun 16-Nov-14 20:08:48

Yes, this is primary school children... and the money will come off the £300 cost of a four night residential trip...as long as your child takes part wink wink
We've all got our own take on these things and I have been interested to hear other opinions so thank you all for taking the time to contribute.

Leeds2 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:35:46

I have no problem with only those that take part getting the reduction, but I do object to groups doing bag packing in supermarkets to raise money for school trips, the brownies' Christmas party etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now