Talk

Advanced search

good reader and writer, poor talker

(5 Posts)
xmasadsboohiss Thu 13-Nov-14 22:08:06

my little one (just seven) is doing well at school and is particularly good at literacy. his story writing has been singled out as being very good. but his verbal communication isn't great at all. not day to day stuff - but if we read a page or two and i ask what has happened i will get the most garbled response! you can tell he can understand what he's read, but there are so many 'ums' and 'ahs' and 'no that's not what i meants' in there that it takes a bit of forbearance to get to the end of it. he was a late talker due to glue ear and we've been waiting or this stumbling speech to iron itself out. but i'm now wondering if we should have him seen by a speech therapist again, or is it just a matter of bearing with him? he's also shy with adults he doesn't know too well and will stumble over talking to them.

any advice would be great. thanks in advance

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 14-Nov-14 19:24:09

Hi - I'm afraid I don't have much experience of your situation, but I saw that your post had gone unanswered for a while so I thought I would point you in the direct of ican - a charity which helps children communicate.

They offer all sorts of advice and support, including a call back service where you can speak to a SALT, assessment services etc. So they might be worth contacting.

www.ican.org.uk/en/What-we-do.aspx

Bardette Fri 14-Nov-14 20:30:35

It's difficult to know without more information. Does he have trouble composing a whole sentence or is it with remembering specific words? Look up 'Word finding disorder/difficulties' and see if that matches his difficulties.
I think it would worth having him assessed as the pace of school starts to pick up and you don't want anything to hold him back.

xmasadsboohiss Sun 16-Nov-14 21:50:24

Thanks MrsCakes. I have emailed them. Bardette I think it may be a bit of both to be honest, although possibly more of a word finding problem. But then there is no problem finding words to write in stories so I don't know! Part of me thinks that if he had a prob with reading and/or writing the lack of fluency in speech would have been picked on in school.

Thanks both for answering.

xmasadsboohiss Sun 16-Nov-14 22:01:28

Bardette - have read up on 'word finding disorder' and that sound like it alright. thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now