Talk

Advanced search

Lost reading book

(17 Posts)
EatDessertFirst Thu 13-Nov-14 21:41:31

DD is 6 and in year 1. She is normally a very responsible and organised little lady but for the first time she has lost a school reading book at home. I really need advice on how I should handle it with her and with the school. I am going to ask for the weekend to find it as I know it is in the house somewhere. There is also no question that we will replace it.

Should I make her pay for it out of her pocket money as a lesson?

I know this is trivial but our school has limited resources and I'm pretty cross with DD for losing it.

Probably just need some perspective!

ilovepowerhoop Thu 13-Nov-14 21:45:49

if its in the house then it's not lost. And no, I would not make her pay for it

EatDessertFirst Thu 13-Nov-14 21:49:02

Maybe tearing the house apart to look for it is just the excuse I need for a clear-out before Christmas.

NorwaySpruce Thu 13-Nov-14 21:49:09

We'll if you know it's in the house, it isn't lost, and nobody will have to pay for anything confused

It's just been misplaced, not an issue at all.

GertrudeBell Thu 13-Nov-14 21:49:18

Just find it! It's not properly lost.

nochangewanted Thu 13-Nov-14 21:49:19

We lost a reading book a few months ago. It was found under the middle of the rug.

No I wouldn't make DC pay this time but have a system it will put back in book bag as soon as it is read.

unclerory Thu 13-Nov-14 21:53:25

Just put a note in her bookbag saying the book has been misplaced at home and you will return it as soon as it turns up. This has happened to us several times DS (aged 2) always gets blamed! They always turn up, eventually. We found a jigsaw piece after 5 years, there was a celebration that day!

I should maybe point out I do actually have a very tidy house and yet we still manage to misplace stuff regularly, it's usually somewhere completely unexpected.

FelixTitling Thu 13-Nov-14 21:54:12

Why are you cross? Has she hidden it? Thrown it out the window?

You seem to be saying it's in the house somewhere, in which case you can find it and she can help you.

Unless she has deliberately got rid or destroyed it I think making her pay for it is a bit OTT.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 13-Nov-14 21:55:38

Surely you have some responsibility in this too? She is 6, it is in your house...

EatDessertFirst Thu 13-Nov-14 22:00:22

I definately do have some responsibility but as its never happened before (she usually puts it straight back into her book bag) I was asking opinions on how to handle it of which all are welcome

I won't make her pay for it but she will be helping me find it.

Thanks for your replies.

GertrudeBell Fri 14-Nov-14 00:34:08

What has she done wrong? confused

Iggly Fri 14-Nov-14 07:08:05

We lost ds's book but found it. Would never have crossed my mind to sanction ds - it was probably my fault!

MinimalistMommi Fri 14-Nov-14 09:35:47

This is a really odd post? She is only 6 years old.

kilmuir Fri 14-Nov-14 09:59:00

Blimey, is she 6 or 16.?
Big effort to find it this weekend

PastSellByDate Fri 14-Nov-14 10:01:00

Hi Eat:

I don't know the whole back story - but are you sure it's been mislaid at home (as in you were reading it with her over the weekend and now Monday a.m. can't find it) or is it a case of the school has told your DD she's lost it at home?

I say this only because I did find teachers were hasty in blaming children for missing books a lot of the time - when in actuality it went missing in class (too many little helpers + TAs + parent volunteers all lending a hand I suspect).

I think a better approach about the missing book for your DD (if it was lost at home) is for you and your DD to agree a place for school books in her room (otherwise in the school bag). he is only six - so probably won't really appreciate the cost - but it may help (long term) to start establishing routines. I used to keep DDs guided reading books in my room, because the girls would read to me (or DH it's his room too!) there.

In terms of you and the school - say you'll have a serious hunt for the book over the next few days and if it hasn't shown up by X date, you will of course reimburse the school for their loss or buy a replacement yourself.

ReallyTired Fri 14-Nov-14 14:20:23

I think that six year olds is too young to be punished for losing a reading book. A six year old has no way of earning the money to replace a reading book.

iwantavuvezela Fri 14-Nov-14 15:24:16

We have misplaced books (usually my fault for suggesting we take them somewhere so they could be read in the car), I have replaced some, told the teacher. I think for a 6 year old it is too young to place a sanction. It could be anywhere. Just misplaced, like we all do ... or I do, daily with keys, phones etc.
I think you will find the school pretty relaxed about this (ours is) and have usually told me not to worry .... although I have always found or ordered another copy for the library.
Don't make the proverbial mountain out of a molehill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now