Talk

Advanced search

Linguistic Phonics

(7 Posts)
TheStorySoFar Thu 13-Nov-14 11:24:00

My eldest 2 DDs are 7 & 9. They are in a composite class in a tiny Primary School in NI. Due to issues with the children's' ability to spell since the introduction of phonics they are trying a new approach called 'Linguistic Phonics'. Tomorrow there's a seminar for parents, to explain 'Linguistic Phonics'. Any questions I should be asking? FWIW, my older DD has an innate ability to spell & has no issues. MY second DD has problems & is also being investigated for dyslexia, & her teacher feels this approach could really help her. I think I do see an improvement already.

CharlesRyder Thu 13-Nov-14 12:07:56

I worked with an Ed Psych who was introducing a neurolinguistic spelling programme for a few children in my school. Is it similar to this (it involved a lot of visualisation exercises)?

maizieD Thu 13-Nov-14 15:36:53

As far as I am aware, linguistic phonics' is very little different from synthetic phonics. It works from the sounds of the language, teaching the way each sound is spelled in words. That, at any rate, is the basics of what Prof Diane McGuinness describes as linguistic phonics and she is a guru of the phonics movement!

Mrz might have more information.

I think what Charles Ryder is describing is neurolinguistic programming, which is something completely different and utterly bonkers

kesstrel Thu 13-Nov-14 15:52:03

What MaizieD said. Here's a blogpost about one of the better known linguistic phonics programmes, explaining how they start out with the word "sat". The core idea is, I believe, that instead of going from the grapheme (i.e. letter/s) to the sound as synthetic phonics does, they go from the sound to the grapheme(s).
literacyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/linguistic-phonics-practical-example.html

TheStorySoFar Thu 13-Nov-14 17:19:26

Thk you all…..This is like a new language to me, so I'm off to read the blog!

mrz Thu 13-Nov-14 17:43:01

literacyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/linguistic-versus-synthetic-phonics.html one of the authors of the linguistic phonics programme we use explaining what he sees as the differences

mrz Thu 13-Nov-14 17:50:14

The main differences I see from the teaching point of view are that we start with what the child knows already the sounds of their own language and identify the sounds they can hear within the context of spoken words before identifying the letter/s that represents each sound, whereas SP programmes introduce the letter/sounds separately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now