Talk

Advanced search

Split yr 1 class - don't know what to do

(7 Posts)
grotbags1 Wed 12-Nov-14 12:32:17

DD1 is 5 with a July birthday. We have just moved back from the US where she she did pre-k instead of reception class. In her school y1, y2 and reception are split over 2 classes. She is with reception class - I wasn't surprised or unhappy about this at the start of the year given her birthday. Academically I am still not unhappy but I think it's starting to affect her self-esteem. Its a little bit vague but from what I can gather the other yr1 girls in her class go to the next class up for their learning even though they have registration etc with dd's class. She is then the only girl left which bothers her. I just explained that she is bit younger etc and she seemed to get over it. However since half-term a little girl has joined the school who is younger than her but in year 1 - she was really pleased as thought she'd have a buddy but that little girl has now been moved up to the next class too. DD is now saying she must be stupid etc as EVERYONE ELSE (boys don't count apparently) goes up to other class regardless of age. Don't know what to do - was thinking if speaking to teacher but she is not very approachable and I don't want to be pushy. Any ideas? Thank you if you made it to the end of the garble :-)

BogeyNights Wed 12-Nov-14 12:36:56

Speak to the teacher.

thegreylady Wed 12-Nov-14 12:46:18

Definitely speak to the teacher. A child's social and emotional development is as important as her academic progress. Ask if you can do extra at home to try to get her up to standard.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 12-Nov-14 12:59:01

I think you have to speak to the teacher. It could be something as simple as you may have commented you were happy with her in that class so they are keeping her there and aren't aware it is bothering her. It could even be the teacher for some reason thinks she is in the younger class (is she small for her age or looks particularly young?)

hiccupgirl Wed 12-Nov-14 17:09:06

Did she miss out on the learning the other children did in Reception last year - phonics, basic maths etc? If so then I would imagine they are keeping her back because she needs to cover these steps before she is ready for Year 1 work.

If she has a good grasp of everything covered in Reception then they should be sending her with the other year 1s. I would speak to the school and find out their reasons for keeping her back.

grotbags1 Wed 12-Nov-14 19:12:19

Thanks for your replies - she did cover very similar work in the US and from what I can tell is pretty average for her age. Also there are other yr1s that stay in her class also it's just that they are boys and that bothers her.

Betsy003 Wed 12-Nov-14 23:10:23

I think the other year ones are ahead of your dD. Maybe you could ask what areas DD needs to work on in order to go through with the girls? Otherwise you will just have to accept that the teacher is differentiating and your DD is working at reception level. That doesn't mean she won't excel in later years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now