Talk

Advanced search

reception parents evening

(9 Posts)
upduffedsecret Wed 12-Nov-14 09:22:33

What questions would be most helpful for me to ask? he's my eldest, so this is all new ground to me.

Also, they've given my son "homework" of tracing over his name to practice it, yet he's been able to write his name for about a year now, and all the other letters (not to make words, just able to form them properly) - should I mention this and ask if he's being given anything to his level or if he's just not showing it at school?

titchy Wed 12-Nov-14 09:29:51

Does he form his letters correctly though? So the letter a should start top right then an anticlockwise circle all the way round then the straight line last?

Other than that ask how he's settling, does he listen to instructions, get on with activities independently or need encouragement, is he shy, sociable, any particular friends, negotiating toilet, lunch and play time ok, any areas of concern.

louisejxxx Wed 12-Nov-14 09:33:05

With regards to the homework, I would just politely say that he has been able to write his name at home for a while now, but that you understand it's a possibility he just isn't demonstrating this ability in class, and is there any way you can encourage him to show his skills off a bit more.

We have our ds's reception parents evening next week, I was planning on asking the following:
- Has he formed some good friendships with the other children? (I already know the answer to this one, but I want to hear the teacher's take on it!)
- Is he behaving well?
- What sorts of things have they learnt so far?
- What should we expect over the next couple of months?
- Any concerns?

OhBuggeringBollocks Wed 12-Nov-14 09:37:01

At DD1's school they teach them to write joined up immediately so it may be he doesn't know how to write the letters the "right" way.

Even if that is the case it is worth mentioning to make sure you and the school are both encouraging the same style of learning to write.

The biggy for me was how she was socially, and whether she was happy.

upduffedsecret Wed 12-Nov-14 09:53:01

yes, he's learning the right way smile I checked with a couple of primary school teachers in the family and confirmed with his nursery teacher (same school) last year and was given a chart to make sure.

he has friends in both reception classes, most of the class he already knew from nursery.

I am going to ask about his concentration, and his reactions (a friend suggested he may be autistic so I'll see what they say to that... I think she's talking nonsense but I may be too close to see it, of course)

He always wants to stay home, but that's more to do with him feeling he may miss out on something here as he's always happy enough once we get to school so no concerns there (there were a few incidents but when he told me about them I informed the teacher and she's been good at squashing personal remarks etc from the other children and encouraging "kind hands")

upduffedsecret Wed 12-Nov-14 09:53:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

upduffedsecret Wed 12-Nov-14 09:53:44

thanks, the suggestions have been helpful smile

poppy70 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:46:45

The teacher should not answer such a question because they are not qualified to make that judgement. Despite what they may think. They will tell you very quickly however if they do have concerns. Terms like inappropriate behaviour is what you are looking out for.

upduffedsecret Fri 14-Nov-14 13:50:24

the teacher asked me "who's being that stupid? Of COURSE he's not!"

I'm a proud mammy after that meeting... the only negative she had to say is that he's a little bit quiet and shy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now