Talk

Advanced search

Destiny XBox 360 Game - Does anyones 10 year old have this?

(16 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Tue 11-Nov-14 13:04:42

My DS has requested this for Xmas...Ive noticed its says 16 on it. He says it is more hunting down aliens and no bad language.

Is this true - where can I check a review of this?

Notinaminutenow Tue 11-Nov-14 16:53:08

He would say that though wouldn't he?! He's 10.

None of my business but how about acting responsibly and getting him an age appropriate game?

lionheart Tue 11-Nov-14 23:08:40

Try common sense media. It will give you a better idea of what the game entails.

RoadRunner123 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:25:34

I would be inclined to think that it contains material not suitable for under 16s.

I don't understand why people think that something is rated 12, 16, 18 or whatever.... but actually it's fiiiine.

hulahoopsilove Wed 12-Nov-14 15:38:42

Not asking for opinions on me as a mother!

Just wanting to know - Does anyones 10 year old have this

HonoraryOctonaut Wed 12-Nov-14 15:39:54

My 12 year old is getting it for Christmas.

hulahoopsilove Wed 12-Nov-14 15:42:05

hi Honorary - did you review it beforehand?

NorwaySpruce Wed 12-Nov-14 15:46:30

No.

We got it as an included game with a Playstation bundle we've bought for Christmas, but we've given it away as the eldest child we have at home is 11, and it would be completely unsuitable.

InfinitySeven Wed 12-Nov-14 15:47:31

From an objective point of view, it can be relatively violent, although not as bad as CoD etc. You can club people to death, shoot peoples heads off, and use grenades to blow bodies apart. The victims cry out in pain, and do bleed. Most of the combat is against aliens, rather than humans, but there is some human v human combat.

The online system is a bigger issue. You cannot limit conversations, and it typically contains a lot of swearing and some sexualised comments...fuck your mum type stuff, as well as some vulgarity. Obviously this depends on what game they are playing in, because some people will play like normal human beings, and others will be violent and rude.

NorwaySpruce Wed 12-Nov-14 15:49:56

BTW it was the multiplayer thing that put us off, as much as anything.

FlyntCoal Wed 12-Nov-14 15:56:38

It's killing aliens yes, but it's a shared world. No bad language possible as there is very little in game communication unless you choose to join a fireteam and have a mic. If he never joins a fireteam, you need to set it so no one can join you or only plays with his mates it's fine. One of the biggest gripes about destiny is the lack of communication, which works fine for me as a solo gamer and for a child.

Part of the game is a raid, you have to do this raid to get armour to take you to level 30. This takes a team of six people working together an hour or two to complete. However..... It's not necessary at all.

Destiny is fun, and engrossing. There are several currency types with different ways to get it, and spend it on. You chose a class and level up through the story and doing bounties and things like strikes. Honestly you can have fun just doing a bounty like melee kill 20 enemies, collect a certain amount of items by killing enemies. There are public events like defend the warsat- stay next to a satellite transmitting data so 100% is sent, fighting off enemies. Several other players could be there defending too, but there is no communication whatsoever!

All in all it's fairly tame, yes you are killing but the aliens look nothing like humans, no gore or kill-cams, the bounties change everyday so it's fun even if you don't hit level 30. I have a level 29 hunter, and level 28 warlock and Titan. If even one friend has it and can play too, even if you don't talk in-game it makes it more fun.

Oh and so you know- this is an online game only. You have to be online to play, it's all on servers.

FlyntCoal Wed 12-Nov-14 16:04:42

The pvp bit- that's player versus player, so killing other players- is called crucible and is completely separate to the other part of the game. You have to specifically choose it to go in.

There is no communication, so no chance whatsoever to hear bad language. No messages on the screen, no voices. Unless the player chooses to set the option to allow people to join them, and also has a mic and the other person does. It's not possible. So if that's your fear, with destiny it's fine.

It's nothing at all like cod. I hate cod, I love destiny. The only similarity is the genre, fps, and the multiplayer which you have to choose to go in.

hulahoopsilove Wed 12-Nov-14 16:08:52

thank you for your honest reviews - its for his XBox360

mrz Wed 12-Nov-14 17:36:23

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-09/08/destiny-guide-for-parents

IAmACircle Wed 12-Nov-14 17:41:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HonoraryOctonaut Wed 12-Nov-14 18:27:50

I did do some research into it and decided that as he wouldn't be doing the online chatting to strangers thing that I didn't mind him having it. It seems quite tame to me. He will play with his uncle (15) or his cousin but that's it. Alor of his school friends will have it and others like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now