Talk

Advanced search

Reading Level Question

(7 Posts)
barefootcook Tue 11-Nov-14 06:17:13

Does anyone know which reading band this book would be in- Ladybird read it yourself (The Sly Fox and Red Hen) Level 2?

Billybo Tue 11-Nov-14 07:04:42

We have a recent version out from the library currently. It says on the back that it is book band 7/turquoise. The language is rather simple in the read it yourself books so are quite easy for the band they are in, imho.

Hooliesmoolies Tue 11-Nov-14 09:01:01

I would agree. Ladybird say that the are band 7, but they are very easy. The language is easy and they are very very short.

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 11-Nov-14 09:11:04

www.ladybird.co.uk/pdf/Ladybird_BookBanding.pdf

I am surprised, I too thought they were easier than that.

barefootcook Tue 11-Nov-14 21:20:08

DS is 5.8 and in Y1. We are in NZ and children start school on their 5th birthday so he has been learning to read for 8 months. He could not read a word other than his name when he started. Do you think this level seems about right for him?

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 11-Nov-14 21:38:01

I think children are all very different. Whether it is book band 5 or book band 7 it sounds like he is doing well for 8 months of schooling.

In the UK they hope children will be somewhere around book band 3 or 4 I think at the end of reception but in reality you will get a range from 1-chapter books. If he likes the books and is keen to read them then that is great.

barefootcook Wed 12-Nov-14 00:00:27

Thank you. Your comments are reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now