Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me what a JMI school is?

(7 Posts)
TENDTOprocrastinate Sun 09-Nov-14 10:39:01

So I've managed to google that JMI stands for junior mixed infant, but what does that mean?

ShelaghTurner Sun 09-Nov-14 10:50:47

Isn't it a school where you have to apply for the juniors even if you're in the infants. So two separate schools in one, IYSWIM

chickenfish Sun 09-Nov-14 16:30:56

It doesn't mean anything. It's an old term still attached to schools in towns or areas where infant and junior schools used to be separate. You don't have to apply for the juniors either.

clam Sun 09-Nov-14 22:26:39

Are there still any around? Ours used to be JMI around 20 years ago. Just trying to remember when it changed to primary.

Missunreasonable Sun 09-Nov-14 22:29:31

There are a couple of schools in my town that have separate infants and juniors. Mist kids in the infants go straight through to the associated junior school but they also have new applicants at junior stage because the classes are slighter larger (the ones in my town).

RustyDalek Sun 09-Nov-14 22:43:26

The school I used to go to was a JMI school, it changed sometime between the 2000 and 2006 OFSTED inspections, but it's still sometimes referred to as Xvillage JMI in parish newsletters. It operated as a straight-through primary, though, with no new application needed for y3.

The school I currently work at is a Junior school which you do have to apply for - the associated infant school is a separate school with a different head and Governing body. There are several schools in the town which have fairly recently amalgamated separate infant and junior schools to become straight- through primaries, and others where the two are federated, either with a joint governing body or with different governors but one executive head overseeing both schools.

GregorSamsa Mon 10-Nov-14 12:28:07

It's a dated term for a mainstream primary school where infants and junior sections are on the same site but in separate buildings or sections of the building.

Initially JMI schools were in contrast to the traditional system of having mixed infants' schools but separate junior schools for girls and boys - you can still see this on lots of Victorian primary schools in London, which have separate entrances for girls and boys. So JMI was a way of indicating that a school had amalgamated the girls and boys' sections of the junior school.

IT's pretty much redundant as a term now that single-sex primary schools are pretty much obsolete in the state sector, but some schools still retain it as part of their official name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now