Talk

Advanced search

Is jumping book bands a no-no?

(13 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Fri 07-Nov-14 14:01:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHathaway Fri 07-Nov-14 14:05:16

DS1 has been jumped a level by his teacher so I wouldn't think it's a problem in itself.

But children can't be moved up a level until they can prove to the teacher that they can read and understand the books at the level they're on. He might be reading confidently at home but not in the classroom.

I find a note along the lines of "reading confidently, good recollection, maybe ready for next level?" in the reading record has worked wonders a few times.

Purpleroxy Fri 07-Nov-14 14:06:10

It's fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ferguson Fri 07-Nov-14 18:39:38

As a TA / helper for twenty years, I always avoided rigid 'completing every book in a level' before moving on, but I'm afraid some schools do still insist on doing it that way.

Can he really decode/read/understand these harder books? If so, I would let him continue as he is (until the teacher catches up with him!) Ideally, reading SHOULD be enjoyable, and not become a slog and a chore - which for some children is what happens.

CharlesRyder Fri 07-Nov-14 19:19:54

I would just record exactly what he has brought home and read in his reading record.

TBH I would not want my 4yo DS to have total free reign about what he brought home because he would go for the lime box every time just because it was the highest!

I understand schools letting children pick from their book band but if they are not even checking which box he is delving in at book change time I would question how carefully they are keeping track of his learning.

Maybe see the teacher?

PesoPenguin Fri 07-Nov-14 20:08:17

Just carry on as he is. Plenty of parents wouldn't have a clue whether the book band was the on he was supposed to be on so it really shouldn't he down to you to say anything.

pointythings Fri 07-Nov-14 21:02:26

I'd just let him carry on. Both my DDs skipped levels multiple times - DD2 went from ORT 2 to ORT 7 in one go just because reading had suddenly 'clicked' with her. Children don't learn in a linear way.

Foxbiscuitselection Fri 07-Nov-14 21:26:03

I don't think it matters really. I talk as someone who abandoned biff and chip for real books with 3 of my 4 kids

KnittedJimmyChoos Fri 07-Nov-14 21:56:17

I think it matters because the teacher should know what level your child is capable of reading at.

They do jump at this age so do tell the teacher you have noticed he is able to read higher levels

there are reasons sometimes why when they can seemingly read, they keep them down, usually comprehension or their writing skills have not caught up.

theposterformallyknownas Fri 07-Nov-14 22:07:47

Levels don't mean anything OP
If you want to encourage reading take your child to the library and let him read what he wants. As long as the school book is read it doesn't matter.
My kids were reading far more complicated books than they ever did at school.
Christmas is a great time to stock up your own library at home.
Get him his own shelf/bookcase and fill it, then read him a story every night.

Foxbiscuitselection Fri 07-Nov-14 22:10:45

I don't think it matters because the teachers will be constantly assessing anyway. Sometimes they do up the kids a few levels

starlight1234 Fri 07-Nov-14 23:28:17

My DS moved up on level in a week and skipped a level altogether. He is free reader now.

I would just note down book and comment as appropriate. Make sure you check comprehension. Then leave teachers to it.

Jen9988 Sun 09-Nov-14 08:14:50

My dd has moved three levels this half term after being on the wrong level for most of last year
just pop in and mention the are very manageable and can she assess reading level. Agree with others though, do your own books and don't worry about the crappy school buff, chip books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now