Talk

Advanced search

Ginn Stepping Stone Reading Levels - Can anyone help?

(6 Posts)
LynetteScavo Tue 04-Nov-14 22:00:35

DD was struggling with ORT level 10, but apparently (according to her) had read every level 10 in the school, so put herself on level 11 Ginn 360 - which she really struggled with.

I wrote a note in her diary (which I don't think is ever read by the class teacher) asking for her to have an easier book - this had been discussed at parents evening just before half term, and I was told her teacher hadn't yet got round to hearing her read, and the school would buy more level 10 books if necessary.

Today she came home with a level 12 book (because she'd read all the level 11 books in school hmm more like the child she went to change books with is on level 12 and she wants to be too.

Anyway - to cut a long story short, DD loves this book and is flying through it, and is unsure of only one word per page.

My question is, what reading age is Ginn Stepping Stones level 12?

I'm trying to figure out if it should be easier than Ginn 360 level 11, or ORT level 11.

teeththief Tue 04-Nov-14 22:34:23

Ort level 12 = Ginn level 7

It's not surprising your DD struggled with Ginn level 12!

teeththief Tue 04-Nov-14 22:35:13

Oh hang on, I misread your question. Is stepping stones different to 360?

LynetteScavo Tue 04-Nov-14 23:03:49

I have no idea if stepping stones is different from 360!

Also (and sorry, my OP was garbled!) DD seems OK with the stepping stones Level 12 (Well the first few pages she's read, anyway) - but was struggling with ORT level 10) confused

She was fine with Jacqueline Wilson's Sleepovers, and is now insisting on reading Jacqueline Wilson's Opal Plumstead to herself- but I suspect she's finding it a bit tricky.

Thanks for replying!

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Nov-14 12:03:25

what books were the ORT10 ones? were they non fiction? that tends to be harder to read.

iseenodust Wed 05-Nov-14 12:22:57

From DS's experience Ginn levels are harder than ORT. They also are an older scheme so the language had an older (earlier era not reading age!) style. 360 are the non-fiction ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now