Talk

Advanced search

Anyone using Maths Factor?

(10 Posts)
Krakken Tue 04-Nov-14 19:27:10

Im thinking of subscribing to it for ds2 in yr2.

What do users think?

brujo Tue 04-Nov-14 21:19:13

It's worked/working for us.

Two DC uncertain about basic maths concepts, starting to talk about hating maths very unenthusiastic - now very much enthused, very advanced and very keen all round about maths.

They've very recently revamped the site and slightly dropped the price per month while also increasing the range of products you can access. Also the games are a lot more engaging for them - so it's improved.

There are other maths sites out there - an increasing number but the explanation videos followed by lots of practise seems to suit my DC.

cingolimama Wed 05-Nov-14 07:59:40

I'm a big fan of Mathsfactor, and have tried many many other sites. My DD has gone from bottom of the class to top table, and now it's her favourite subject. I like the way Carol V explains things very simply and clearly (who knew she'd be such a good teacher?), and then the emphasis on practice. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

If you decide to go ahead, I can give you a code to get the first month discounted. PM me if you like.

PastSellByDate Wed 05-Nov-14 10:58:30

Have posted tons on this here on MN. Absolutely cannot praise this programme highly enough....

DD1 finished Y2 with Nc L1 at KS1 SATs. She was unable to even take 1 from 10 and could barely add numbers to 20.

We were in utter despair. And the school were less than helpful. We asked for suggestions about what we can do at home. School responded 'Children develop in mathematics at their own speeds.' We asked if they could recommend any workbooks. School responded 'As a policy, we don't recommend workbooks and believe that 'family time' is truly more important than learning to subtract'. We queried when they expected a child to understand how to take 1-9 from 10 (as DD1 was totally unable to do this in May of Y2). We were told they were teaching to the National Curriculum and given a copy of the National Curriculum (old version) booklet.

It turned out that Carold Vorderman was publicising starting up mathsfactor so I thought why not - it's a free trial period of 1 month - can't hurt?

Mathsfactor was straightforward, well structured and worked concepts through - step by step with lots of repetition so that it wasn't a case of you've been introduced to the idea of dividing by 10, but was a case of by the end of the unit you can divide by 10 with your eyes closed.

DD1 finished Y6 KS2 SATs on NC L6 for maths. She did both the arithmetic school and the algebra school. For us it was a solution to a highly unambitious maths curriculum from the primary (where division - even inverse multiplication facts were not taught) - but it was also about providing an opportunity to practice and develop facility with basic mathematical operations (addition/ subtraction/ multiplication/ division).

Absolutely worth every penny - and now that it's even cheaper (now £9.99 instead of £14.99) - frankly at 5 homeworks a week - that's a little less than 50p a session.

My advice is go for it - you have absolutely nothing to loose. If it isn't for you - well there it is. But there's a free trial period - so why not give it a go.

Patilla Wed 05-Nov-14 11:01:23

Is maths factor suitable for y1's as well?

DS has the potential to be good at maths and loves it but seems to be a bit forgotten in his class at present so I'd like to give him the chance to learn a few more concepts etc than he does at school. I think he would really enjoy it.

DazzleU Wed 05-Nov-14 11:21:43

Yes Patilla- my youngest started at end of reception - older DC were doing it and she wanted to as well. Did try a few other sites with her - but mathsfactor was one that worked best for her.

DS started mid yr1 - there was a lot of concern about his ability and understanding in many areas not just maths - he had a lot of help at home with but maths it was solely mathsfactor we did. He did struggle a bit at times and we did have to go back in the lessons on a few occasions but he got L3 in his yr 2 SATS in maths and he risen from bottom to top from yr1 to top set by yr2 which he's still in yr 3.

Patilla Wed 05-Nov-14 11:55:47

Ok, thanks for that Dazzle. I don't understand the levels people are saying but it sounds good.

I just want DS to get a chance to explore something he is interested in but not being massively invested in at school. I think sometimes he can get a but distracted in a loud classroom and learns things much more quickly at home so it might boost him a bit beyond the "forgotten middle" that he is in at present.

DazzleU Wed 05-Nov-14 14:13:37

It's the SATS Patilla levels - though the government has now scrapped them.

They go 1c, 1B, 1A etc

2b is/was expected level end yr 2- 2 sub-levels progress expected a year so L3 is way of saving they are doing much better than expected end of yr2. I'm less sure where the level was supposed to be ks2 yr6 I think 4C maybe (?)so level 6 is excellent.

Basically they end up way in front of where they are expected to be.

To us it was more important they had the fundamentals in place - and they stopped disengaging with maths.

Eldest has started algebra school, now accessible with the monthly fee, off her own bat - she now willing and confident to explore areas of maths.

I have never mentioned maths factor to their school - and while they have moved up the sets in maths - given their termly targets - usually times tables that they already have instant recall with - I'm not entirely sure their teachers are fully aware of what the DC can in maths - which is fine as long as the DC still work hard in school lessons.

DazzleU Wed 05-Nov-14 14:15:56

It's the SATS levels Patilla not order I wrote. I'll get it right eventually.

Patilla Wed 05-Nov-14 22:58:08

That's helpful thank you.

I think we will be looking at finding a way to afford it for DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now