Talk

Advanced search

Exercise books - buying yourself plus good games ?

(10 Posts)
BeaLola Tue 04-Nov-14 17:43:07

Any parent/teacher out there who can recommend a good company to buy some books from to use at home. When my DS nearly 7 gets homework it isn't mandatory so no books provided so we end up doing on a4 paper. I know it's not a major thing but tonight I thought it would be good if I bought him a few maths books to do homework in and a few lined a5 for writing etc and that way we would have it all together.

Also doing average at maths, some things grasps , others struggles with so thought for upcoming gifts /stocking fillers may buy junior monopoly and maybe some other hopefully fun games ... But what is good out there ? It's 40 years since I was there ,
TIA

pookamoo Tue 04-Nov-14 17:47:54

Our 99p shop sells exercise bppkks in packs of 5.

Have a look at the Orchard Toys website, they have some brilliant games.

pookamoo Tue 04-Nov-14 17:48:11

"books" even... typo!

noramum Tue 04-Nov-14 19:56:36

I wouldn't bother with Junior monopoly or Orchard Games. DD plays the normal monopoly since she is 6.5, after a couple of games together with an adult she is treat at beating DH and me.

Good is also Ludo. We have a game called Spider maths www.funlearning.co.uk/spider-maths-game which combines addition, multiplication and subtraction.

Or a Bingo, either "normal" or addition, subtraction, multiplication or division or this fraction one

www.funlearning.co.uk/pizza-fraction-bingo?search=Fraction%20bingo

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 04-Nov-14 21:19:29

scrabble?

pookamoo Wed 05-Nov-14 11:03:07

I can't stand Monopoly, nora although my brother used to l ove it when we were children. Totally personal, of course! We didn't have the junior version, though.

noramum Wed 05-Nov-14 11:27:46

Pookamoo - I agree, board games are really a personal choice. I hate all these strategy ones where you have to build a village or similar.

Junior is good if you have 7-8 year olds and they can play it on their own without too much help. But it is quite boring as a family game.

pookamoo Wed 05-Nov-14 13:32:07

I always cheat to make it more interesting! wink

Leeds2 Wed 05-Nov-14 15:57:43

ELC used to do packs of playing cards with sums/numbers on them, to play snap with. You got the snap if you matched a times table with the answer, iyswim. Might be a good stocking filler.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Nov-14 19:29:56

tesco have some of those cards in at the moment Leeds2. I saw them the other day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now