Talk

Advanced search

Average child

(10 Posts)
oneboy3girls Fri 31-Oct-14 14:05:18

My well behaved, average ability D's does not attend any support groups at school Most children attend something ,whether it be for ability or behaviour. I am beginning to feel this is unfair . He is never picked by senior management to do anything special, when he would be capable. Does anyone else get fed up and sad about this?

BelleateSebastian Fri 31-Oct-14 14:10:15

Do you mean interventions for reading, maths etc by support groups? Don't be fed up and sad it just means he doesn't need them - they are there for learning and to ensure children make the progress they are capable of making. They're not for self esteem or a treat.

Be happy he's obvious reaching his potential without extra support smile

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 31-Oct-14 14:12:31

Yes. My DDs always complained that the naughty kids got rewards for being good, but the good kids never got rewarded for being good.

But bear in mind that, most of us are round about the average. Just plodding along, keeping our heads down and getting on with things. I expect lots of kids are not picked by senior management to do anything special. You only notice because it's your son.

I expect the majority of parents whose children are attending support groups for ability or behaviour would rather they weren't! (that they didn't need them in the first place that is, not that they don't get the support that they need)

Does DS have a "thing"? Something he really enjoys or is good at, that he can do either inside or outside of school? Maybe that would help.

oneboy3girls Fri 31-Oct-14 14:16:24

Thanks for reply .At my D's school the most able and least able get lots of intervention, but the average children do not There are groupsalso for those with bbehaviour and social issues It would be nice if he got a bit more attention sometimes.

Galena Fri 31-Oct-14 14:55:42

In an ideal world, every child would have equal 1-1 and small group work. It isn't an ideal world though. The class work will be aimed at your son's level - meaning that those below his level need help to access the work and those above his level need their work also to be correctly differentiated. Those with behaviour issues need interventions to enable them to learn - and to stop them interfering with others' learning. Those with social issues need help to learn how to function in a class.

I can understand to a certain extent being disappointed he's not one of the higher attainers, but would you really want him to have all the issues those in other intervention groups have?

Eva50 Fri 31-Oct-14 17:48:08

I agree with tywysogesgymraeg. Is he sporty, musical etc. Could he learn a musical instrument or unusual sport so that he can stand out from the crowd. Ds2 is very "average" and was easily missed in a crowd but he plays violin. He plays in orchestras and festivals and in primary 7 was asked to play in assembly.

InfantTeacher Fri 31-Oct-14 19:07:39

We can't offer intervention to every child - in fact, if every child got it, it wouldn't by definition be intervention which is something over and above the normal provision. Intervention groups are for those who need it because they aren't making progress quickly enough, including gifted & talented who sometimes make less progress than the other kids in the class. Be pleased that your son is well behaved and making the progress he should be without needing extra help.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 31-Oct-14 20:36:11

it could be misleading - sometimes the most able children also have splds and may need support for anything from dyslexia to anxiety, ASD or whatever.

Also in class the class is aimed at the average so the lower end and the upper end do need something extra or they aren't being taught to their ability level.

TeenAndTween Fri 31-Oct-14 21:34:06

I can see where you are coming from, but almost by default the majority of general teaching is probably pitched at your child's level, which is why he doesn't need intervention or extension. This could well mean that normally in class he is learning at an appropriate level.

I wish my DD didn't need intervention. I also wish that her self confidence wasn't so low due to struggling at school (and other children saying her work is rubbish) that she didn't need the (very rare) occasional boosts of being picked for something special. I wish she didn't come home almost every day saying how hard the work was, or worrying that everyone else can do stuff she can't.

(that said, schools should make an effort to make all children feel special and valued, even the 'average' ones).

Sirzy Fri 31-Oct-14 21:39:24

Schools should do what is needed to support the learning and development of all students.

But that doesn't mean Intervention groups for all students because not All students need them or would benefit from them. DS attends an intervention group and has a 1-1 session each week but these are needed to help him access the curriculum that most students can without needing that extra support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now