Talk

Advanced search

Primary school and good place to live in Bradford

(16 Posts)
Cathstaff Wed 29-Oct-14 16:10:02

Hi,
I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm moving back to Yorkshire after a fling time in Scotland. I need to make an in-year application for primary school for my 7 year old. My Mum lives in Shipley so id ideally like to be there but the LA has told me there are no places in year 2 in any of the local schools so I'm going to need to think of other areas. I don't want to go too far as I'm a single Mum who doesn't drive! I will be working in Leeds so need to commute. I'm anxious as I know Bradford doesn't have a good reputation for schools, and I only know the Shipley / Saltaire ones. The LA tell me the best thing to do is identify other areas/ schools then call them and they will check whether there are places. Could anyone suggest nice areas to live and or good primaries in the Bradford area??
Thanks so much, it's all a bit overwhelming organising this just now and I'm keen not to make a mistake and end up somewhere horrible with my son in a crap school!
X Cath

Galena Wed 29-Oct-14 17:35:51

East Morton?

Surreyblah Wed 29-Oct-14 20:22:15

Pudsey?

Cathstaff Wed 29-Oct-14 22:07:45

Thank you, I hadn't checked either of them! Thinking of checking out Baildon too.

charlie0123 Wed 29-Oct-14 22:13:05

Oxenhope, haworth, stanbury, oakworth, Lee's - all good

Ziggyzoom Wed 29-Oct-14 22:17:42

Was going to suggest Baildon. Nice parts of Leeds not far from Shipley - Menston (might be Bradford actually) Guiseley, Yeadon, Rawdon.

NearlySchoolTime Wed 29-Oct-14 22:21:43

Skipton?

And I agree with charlie0123, but I know some of those are very oversubscribed. If you don't drive then obviously distance from a station is a factor - so maybe look at the towns and villages with a station on the Shipley line first and then work your way out? Worth looking at the secondary schools too.

MicrochipsAndMemories Wed 29-Oct-14 22:25:42

I'd suggest Guiseley or
Menston. Baildon is pretty good too but more of a faf getting to Leeds, don't think you can get straight there on the train, have to switch at Guiseley or Shipley.

Cathstaff Thu 30-Oct-14 21:35:51

Thanks so much for this, great advice! I am away to spend some time with Ms Google, and may be back for further advice!

Cathstaff Fri 31-Oct-14 16:55:21

Hmm Bradford seems to be somewhat of a nightmare for school places. I have so far been told there are no places at all in Baildon CofE, Menston Primary, all schools in Shipley and Saltaire. Its crazy! I haven't yet fathomed how to even get through to someone in Leeds admissions to check out Rawdon, but thats next on my list, along with Guiseley, and Horsforth schools if we just can't get a place in Bradford. Is this the usual experience?!

Cathstaff Fri 31-Oct-14 16:56:23

Also I have't checked East Morton or Pudsey yet. Are there any particular recommendations people have? I know these places were suggestions too..

Trisarahtops Fri 31-Oct-14 17:03:30

Maybe look at places with a rail link to Shipley so that you can visit your mum easily (e.g. Bingley, Crossflats, Steeton, Silsden, Cononley)?

HaroldCopter Fri 31-Oct-14 17:04:05

Hi OP, welcome back to Yorkshire (in advance)! If you're thinking in the Skipton train line, have you considered Steeton? The primary school in the village has a very good reputation (think it's Ofsted good with areas of Outstanding) and is very diverse. Not sure about in-year transfers. There are some other good schools nearby eg Glusburn, although it's over subscribed and may be trickier without a car. Steeton has a station, trains into Leeds every 30 mins, it takes 30 mins (no changes) and it's 20 mins to Shipley. We love it here!

Ziggyzoom Fri 31-Oct-14 20:37:42

What year would your 7 year old be in? 2 or 3?

lemonpuffbiscuit Sat 01-Nov-14 10:13:06

Idle primary

Cathstaff Mon 10-Nov-14 00:10:42

Thank you! My son would be year 2 in England, as he was 7 in September. Silsden sounds like it would be worth a look, thanks. I have been thinking of Skipton itself too, although its further than I was really intending. HaroldCopter, what is it that you like about living in Silsden? Its so hard to know what places are really like, and `i also have the fear of moving somewhere tiny after being in cities all my life!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now