Talk

Advanced search

Times Tables - best app/websites?

(11 Posts)
tassisssss Mon 27-Oct-14 16:52:46

Hi all, i'm keen to get my guys practising their tables more.

Anyone got any good apps or websites that you use?

Thanks

feetheart Mon 27-Oct-14 16:56:34

Timez Attack (inspite of the irritating spelling)
Like a 'proper' video game and just as addictive smile It's free although you can pay to upgrade.
Lots of repetition, tests, etc.

PandasRock Mon 27-Oct-14 16:57:40

Squeebles apps are very good. Whole range of maths apps, not just times tables, and both my dds like them.

noramum Mon 27-Oct-14 19:21:41

Squeebles here as well. They are great and DD actually wants to practice.

We also love their maths bingo as it is good for addition, substraction and division as well.

They are worth every penny and a lot better than some of the free apps we tried.

atticusclaw Mon 27-Oct-14 19:22:51

timez attack is fab.

and Percy parker for in the car

Icedfinger Mon 27-Oct-14 20:24:12

Tables master is simple but good

Percy Parker is also good.

If the school is on Mathletics, live Mathletics is fab!

beautifulgirls Mon 27-Oct-14 21:27:01

squeebles app and percy parker CD here both highly recommended.

Ferguson Wed 29-Oct-14 18:32:51

Use 'aps' etc, by all means, but it is also important children UNDERSTAND maths, and not only 'memorize' it, so I always suggest this:

QUOTE:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths work, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other

etc, etc

then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

I am sorry it seems complicated trying to explain these concepts, but using Lego or counters should make understanding easier.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/index.html

UNQUOTE

PastSellByDate Wed 29-Oct-14 20:28:57

tasiss:

Just to say I second Timez Attack as a useful game to really get practicing - and also good visual aids to understanding multiplication is multiple additions.

I'd add there are some free websites that are great:

Woodlands Junior school Maths Zone has links under multiplication to lots of good games: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/timestable/

Multiplication dot com: www.multiplication.com/

I'd also add for newbies to multiplcation - maths champs games: www.mathschamps.co.uk/#home - they've split them across age ranges - but the games are a lot of fun.

HTH

tassisssss Wed 29-Oct-14 21:31:47

Thanks all!

jacobibatoli Sat 01-Nov-14 17:40:26

cut out a load of cards, 12 colours, 1 for each table
chop each coloured card up into 12 playing card sizes ..ish
write on each eg
3x7 on one side and the answer on the other
so you can test dc on each set of tables
in order or in a random order
and then when the big day comes juggle the whole lot up
nice and homemadish and it works

worked for mine and have now passed on the cards

I don't think the grids that kids are sent home from school with work and invariably they are in order so all they do is go 2,4,6,8,10.... down a column

I think learning by rote is the best way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now