Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wimbledon - Rowans / Squirrels

(7 Posts)
BonaDea Thu 04-Sep-14 13:24:39

I just tried to post this in Mumsnet local, but the talk board seems to be down...

We registered our DS for Rowans and Squirrels at around 6 weeks of age. I'm now getting the impression this was far too late. I know the drill that lists move etc, but do I need to start making other plans for him? This is for admission for kindergarten in 2016, which will be decided early next year apparently... Apparently the list places you according to how many days after birth you registered. Did I totally miss the boat in my newborn daze / hell?

Other options at the moment seem to be Rokeby which is by ballot and Willington which you don't need to register so early for. Will also of course keep fingers crossed for a state place, but not hopeful given catchment areas.

BonaDea Thu 04-Sep-14 21:14:22

*hopeful bump

wombler Thu 04-Sep-14 23:27:58

Please do not panic. I am going back a few years to 2009, but I am almost embarrassed to say that we were incredibly laid back when we watched our friends putting down deposits on lots of different schools and that was at the age of 2 or 3. Some of the experienced mums that came to visit me after DS's birth did say 'you need to think about schools now' - but I had other things on my mind.

We decided to go State and at least 'give it a try', unfortunately, we got our third choice, met with the school and then went into panic. In August/September prior to DS being due to start in reception we contacted Rowans and Willington and they both had spaces, although Squirrels did tell me that I did need to register at birth. However, they did advise to keep in touch and that spaces would come up. Now obviously a lot may have changed - certainly at that time Rowans had just put on an extra class. But please do get sucked into the panic - yes, a lot register early and many people pay deposits at lots of schools, but people change their minds, move away, extra classes can be put on, so I would not be panicking yet. Also, this is only for nursery. It is all change again for reception!

I've just re-read your post - you registered at 6 weeks - you will be fine!

Tori23 Thu 04-Sep-14 23:47:30

I'll second what wombler said, you don't need to panic at all. We were offered a place at Squirrels and we registered DS at about 12 weeks- this is a few years ago though!

BonaDea Fri 05-Sep-14 06:26:09

Thanks for the reassurance!

I just thought all would be fine. It seems things have definitely moved on in the last few years in terms of competition but I will just continue to keep everything crossed...

Primafacie Sat 03-Jan-15 15:09:35

Hi OP, sorry I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add my experience, as DS sat the assessment in 2013 for entry in September 2015. We also registered him about 6 weeks after birth, and I was also in a panic thinking we had left if to late, so I called the school and the admissions secretary was great - very chatty and open, and she reassured me that he would almost certainly be invited for an assessment. In the end we were invited in the first round of assessments and DS got a place.

I would recommend calling the school if you are worried, they will know where you are on the list and can give you a good indication on your chances based on their experience.

amidaiwish Sat 03-Jan-15 17:16:15

you don't need to panic
at 3 months old friends told me it was now or never to get DD's name down for Newlands House (Teddington). I laughed.
Age 3 i thought maybe i should... phoned them they said "sure she'll be on the waiting list" and when i asked what number they said no.22 on the girls. Considering they only take 20 boys, 20 girls i didn't think it was worth wasting my £100 so decided to sit it out and hope for the state place. Got a good state school place but was phoned in June before the sept and offered a place (they kept my details even though i didn't formally apply). Honestly everyone just panics and books a private place as insurance against state school disaster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now