Talk

Advanced search

Kingsgate Primary School, any comments?

(4 Posts)
efontanille Thu 10-Jul-14 11:30:12

Hello everyone,
My daughter finally got a place in Reception for next september, and camden offered a place at Kingsgate Primary School. I have very happy at the moment as they were rated Outstanding by Ofsted! But then, I've been looking on forums, and some comments were not that positive saying it was a dire environment.
Does anyone know this school?
I also considered St Eugene de Mazenod, we are catholic but my daughter is not baptised yet...
Thank you so much for your help!

MangoDaiquiri Thu 10-Jul-14 22:11:14

I have visited both of the schools you mention. They both have good SATs results and are OFSTED rated outstanding. My daughter starts reception in September in another school in that area.
I wasn't keen on Kingsgate when I visited. The head seemed a bit aloof and not very engaging. We were shown around by the kids which, although is a lovely idea, didn't really work as they couldn't answer any of the questions the parents had and we didn't get to go into any of the classrooms (at the 5 other NW6 schools I visited the head talked to us, took us around and we peeked into some/all of the classes). It seemed quite crowded though they have taken several bulge classes over the last few years. Camden has earmarked Kingsgate for expansion to PAN 120 and will move the infants to a new site (likely to be Liddell Road, although the group behind the new Free School proposal would also like that site) and keep Juniors on current site.
St Eugene seemed very calm and orderly when I visited. Not much outside space at all though. They are usually oversubscribed with baptised Catholics and hence if you want to consider it you will need the baptism certificate to site yourself towards the top of the waiting list.
Unfortunately I do not know anyone with kids at either at the moment, so can't really give you any inside info on the schools. Have you visited both? Are you on any other waiting lists?

efontanille Fri 11-Jul-14 11:00:53

Thank you so much for your answer. I will visit Kingsgate next week to see the premises, if I don't feel comfortable, I may consider other schools in Maida Vale as we were thinking of moving in this area.

Twoshininglights Fri 02-Jan-15 13:44:58

Hi efontanille,

I was wondering how you got on? My daughter is due to start reception in september this year and Kingsgate would be our local school. Not quite sure where to apply but we are not religious so St Eugene is not an option although is closer.

thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now