Talk

Advanced search

Magikat/Kumon etc.

(13 Posts)
tiredmummy123 Sat 21-Jun-14 22:13:35

Does anyone have any experience of Magikat, Kumon etc. for supplementary maths or english tuition? Thanks.

TheEnchantedForest Sat 21-Jun-14 22:28:56

Kumon = death by worksheet.

How old is your child? Is there something specific your child needs help with?

tiredmummy123 Sat 21-Jun-14 22:40:54

ds starts reception in September, he seems to be doing fine.

My question just stems from friends saying that they're thinking of using one of these groups just for general additional teaching on top of school. I'm not sure whether I think that's overkill or whether it would help get him off to the best start...

MissWimpyDimple Sun 22-Jun-14 01:48:36

dd loved magikats. She went for maths and the change in confidence was brilliant. She went from scraping a 1b end of yr1 to a 2a end of year 2. I'm happy with that!

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 22-Jun-14 01:53:29

Signing up to Mathletics or Reading Eggs can be a pain free way of supporting their learning?

BucksKid Sun 22-Jun-14 16:12:36

1b to a 2a in Y2 is not that brilliant. The teacher would have targeted her a 2b. So you did all that extra work for possibly 1 sub level. Doesn't sound worth it to me.....

But then I value a free afternoon more than 1 sublevel.....

Inthedarkaboutfashion Sun 22-Jun-14 16:15:17

Kumon = spending money on somebody who possibly isn't qualified to teach to give worksheets to your child.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 22-Jun-14 19:06:50

I agree about the levels in theory, but the reality is that she was really struggling and her maths was way behind the rest of her levels (getting 3 for the rest) and her confidence was terrible. Panicked at every thing she couldn't do. Magikats gave her coping strategies.

I would never send her if she was doing ok though. We just did a couple of terms to get her confidence up (I had little faith in the school as she has supply all of this year so not much continuity and I felt I needed to act now before she got completely turned off by maths)

BucksKid Sun 22-Jun-14 20:46:12

Glad her confidence has improved. That is very important.

tiredmummy123 Mon 23-Jun-14 20:35:27

Thanks all for your replies. ..

tiredmummy123 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:55:18

Thanks all for your replies. ..

asnmdirteha Sat 28-Jan-17 13:25:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

irvineoneohone Sat 28-Jan-17 13:33:19

Why are you reviving zombie threads and recommending American website which doesn't follow English NC?

I am a big fan of few American sites, but only ones with total free access for whole contents, since it only be used as extra. No point of signing up and paying for something that follows totally different curriculum, imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now