Talk

Advanced search

Kensington schools

(7 Posts)
LaPetiteLilly Fri 13-Jun-14 14:14:53

Any recommendations in terms of primary accolades in Kensington? I have a son and a daughter who will start Reception in September 2017, and would like them to attend nursery for a couple of years prior to that. We are considering Thomas's and St Nicholas, and potentially The Vale and Little GEMS from the GEMS Hampshire school. Let me know if you have any experience of these schools, or any other schools in the area.

LaPetiteLilly Fri 13-Jun-14 14:45:47

Sorry I of course meant schools...

CruCru Sat 14-Jun-14 15:27:56

Have you seen the blog Londonpreprep? I'm on my phone so can't link but there's quite a lot about schools in west London in it.

LaPetiteLilly Sat 14-Jun-14 20:15:58

Hi CruCru, I have seen that blog and live it. I was looking to widen my sources and get feedback from parents who have/had their kids in these schools.

CruCru Sat 14-Jun-14 22:54:47

Not me I'm afraid, I live in north London.

MMmomKK Sat 14-Jun-14 23:54:52

People look for different things from schools. My view was almost focused on academics, so here are some thoughts. Unfortunately, in this area best schools (by results) are single sex.

Thomas's is a good and happy school. Not terribly academic, but big on confidence, drama, art, etc. They don't prepare boys for 7/8+ but, as far as I understand, do prep girls for 11+.

Don't know enough about St.Nicolas. It's not a terribly academic school but does have an option of French curriculum. Not sure what their exits are like.

The Vale is co-ed on paper, but many classess have very small number of girls. Drawback is that it finishes at 8, so kids do have to take the exams to get into other schools. As far as I understand, school does well academically. Facilities are not great - no outdoor space.

GEMs - seems to me to be at the same league with St.Nicolas.

Finally, don't know if you have a nursery lined up - heard great things from a number of friends about Iverna Gardens Montessori.

You should also look at the Good schools guide for more info.

wethermum Fri 26-Jun-15 14:15:51

Hampshire school is fab! Far better than St Nics from what I have seen from my neighbours kids. Facilities are much better and results are good. latest report also sings its praises. it has had ups and downs the last few years with changes in headship, but is a very settled and happy school now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now