Talk

Advanced search

Loyola preparatory vs Daiglen

(9 Posts)
Thinkingtoread Sun 18-May-14 07:03:15

My son has been offered a place in these two school....which one is a better one

Thinkingtoread Fri 30-May-14 22:46:35

Nobody

tinfoilhat Sat 31-May-14 11:40:10

Goodness me, haven't heard those names for donkey's years! I used to go to Braeside up the road.
Can't help with your choice though, sorry, but didn't want to leave you unanswered. Have you tried posting in the local sections? Maybe in Chat where there is more traffic?
Good luck!

Toomanyhouseguests Sat 31-May-14 15:56:06

I have daughters who go to state school locally. My understanding from local gossip is that both are good, but Loyola is better academically. It's also a Roman Catholic school so that may be a turn on or turn off depending on your family back ground.

Thinkingtoread Sat 31-May-14 19:16:50

Thank you replying to the thread.

Thinkingtoread Sat 31-May-14 19:18:22

Tinfoilhat what do u think of private school. My friends DD goes to braeside and they love it.

tinfoilhat Sat 31-May-14 22:13:20

I'm all for it, I wish we could afford to send our DC's but can't, so we're home educating instead.

It's been many years since I was at Braeside (I'm 40 now !) and I was there from 4/5 to completing my GCSE's. It was the perfect school for me - I was a very shy child and being in such a small school, with small classes, really helped me. I would have had a very difficult time had I been in a mixed state school, the sheer size and coping with boys would have crushed me!
I didn't realise how good the education I'd received was until I'd left. I went on to a college for A-levels and it was then I discovered the huge gaps my fellow pupils had in their education - items that I had covered in junior school.

I also think that being privately educated gave me a certain confidence and respect for authority that helped me throughout my career. No it isn't right that our state schools are, in the majority, not providing a decent enough education (IMO) but that's how it is and I think that if a family can afford it they should go private. Let's face it, going to a 'good' school can open doors and looks good on the cv.

There were a couple of downsides for me - the 'keeping up with the Jones'' but this was perhaps the area rather than the school! Many of the girls had quite lavish lifestyles, whereas we were quite the opposite, and I struggled with this sometimes. Also the fact that state schools have more money for resources, whereas we were quite limited there. This may have changed though, it's been a long time!

Ultimately, although I was a child that struggled with school, I have very fond memories of Braeside and I'm really grateful that I went. I feel very sad that I can't give my own DC's the same opportunity to be privately educated.

Not sure whether I've helped? Hope so. Good luck!

Thinkingtoread Sun 01-Jun-14 10:58:17

thank you for sharing your education experience
with us. Its good to know that you likec it there
we are going ahead with a private option

MoRaw Wed 05-Nov-14 22:22:17

Thinkingtoread, what did you eventually decide? I am interested in hearing about Loyola as I have applied for a place for my son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now