Talk

Advanced search

Last child leaving primary school next term. Yippee!

(9 Posts)
ormirian Fri 04-Apr-14 15:15:26

After 13 years I am going to be doing the school run for the very last time in July.

When DS1 left 6 years ago I was sad. Ditto when DD left 2 years later. I thought I would feel utterly bereft when my last 'baby' grew up and moved on to secondary. And end to an era!

But here's the thing...I can't wait! I won't be late for work every day, I won't constantly have to sort out costumes at the last minute, makes cakes, provide tombola and raffle prizes.... DS2 can walk to his new school, it's at the end of the road, he will have to take responsibility for getting himself there. I will be freeee!

There are a whole other set of worries and responsibilities of course, but not the ones I've been dealing for the last 13 years.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

pointythings Fri 04-Apr-14 15:18:41

I haven't done the school run for almost 2 years now, DD2's primary allows them to come and go independently as long as the parents ask in advance.

However, I completely agree with you about costumes, raffle prizes, cakes and all that. Last but not least - no more separate PD days! DD2's primary has been a bugger for this since going Academy in 2010, there's two this year which are different. I'm happy for my DDs to be at home together, they're 13 and 11 and sensible, but I'm not happy for the 11yo to be by herself all day so cue me scrambling to arrange something for her. No more!

Oh, and our secondary is literally 3 minutes from our house so yay to that too.

Lilaclily Fri 04-Apr-14 15:20:00

I won't be doing the school run in Year 6 ! No way hose!

ormirian Fri 04-Apr-14 15:20:35

I wouldn't have been doing the school run either if we hadn't moved. We were 10 mins walk from the primary in our old house, more like 25 mins where we are now.

HPparent Fri 04-Apr-14 16:16:25

A great day indeed! My eldest child leaves school altogether in a few weeks and I can't bloody wait! No more begging letters, nodding and smiling parents evenings and hysteria about getting less than A* in a test - from teachers FFS!

MotleyCroup Fri 04-Apr-14 17:30:10

I envy you envy

I have another 4 years to go! Although I'm pretty sure I'll be happy/sad when the time comes.

Frikadellen Fri 04-Apr-14 23:11:43

Jealous I have another year to go before I end my 13 years of School runs. DD1 is doing her GCSE's this year and dd3 is in year 5.. I can feel myself disengaging and just thinking 4 more terms 4 more terms.. The school she is in is lovely though and I will miss the head who I count as a friend. However I can't wait..

Dwerf Fri 04-Apr-14 23:14:55

My first child entered primary 17 years ago, my last child leaves in July. I've had children at this current primary for 11 years. End of an era.

RussianBlu Sat 05-Apr-14 01:01:32

I think its a sad day when your last child leaves primary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now