Talk

Advanced search

Reading for my YR DD

(6 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Fri 04-Apr-14 10:27:53

Hi there, my DD is quite a good reader (blue/green books I think) and I am looking for some really good books she could read by herself for 10 mins at bedtime.

I think chapter books would be beyond her at the moment (she isn't 5 yet) as she says they are "too big" for her (not many pictures and too many words). Does anyone know any books that would be good for a child at this level to read independently?

thanks
bumps

PastSellByDate Fri 04-Apr-14 10:34:00

Hi Bumpsadaisie:

Try e-books on Oxford Owl (you have to sign up but otherwise it's free): www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home

The book trust has a book finder: From link: www.booktrust.org.uk/books/children/ - click book finder on the left list of options - then click 5-8 - and then you'll see a series of book genres and you can select the type of book.

The guardian building a classic library for children also has some good suggestions: www.theguardian.com/books/2000/apr/08/childrens.library.47

Finally - look out for the Early Reader series - certainly my DD2 really enjoyed reading Sally Gardner princess books (so classic stories Princess & the Pea/ Cinderella/ etc... - illustrated but in chapters) - helped quell the fear of reading a chapter book.

General link on amazon to early reader books: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=early%20readers&sprefix=early+readers%2Caps%2C277

Link to Sally Gardner books on Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=early+readers+Sally+Gardner&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Aearly+readers+Sally+Gardner

HTH

Bumpsadaisie Fri 04-Apr-14 10:50:24

Thanks so much, that is brilliant.

Bumps

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 04-Apr-14 12:35:07

Not sure if she is on blue/green book band levels or your school's own colours, not necessarily the same levels.

Winnie the Witch books are book band 8/purple, Usborne Beginners non fiction ones are book band 8, Usborne Young Reading Series 1 stories are band 10 I think (should be on their website somewhere), Early Readers as already mentioned, The Wrong Kind of Bark, The Kitten with No Name, The Quick Brown Fox Cub, some of the banana books - Mr Tubs is Lost, Spinderella, Follow the Swallow and lots more like that, The Ligthouse Keeper books and pretty much any of her normal picture story books.

noramum Fri 04-Apr-14 13:17:00

I would try Usborne First reader and Young Reader series 1. The latter has chapters but DD found them easier as they have a bigger fond and still lots of colour pictures, it makes the idea less daunting.

Try your local library and charity shops for ideas. New books cost a lot and DD lost interest in the starter ones when she moved on reading.

simpson Fri 04-Apr-14 13:27:45

Topsy and Tim. My DD was obsessed with them. I think they are stage 5/6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now