Talk

Advanced search

Group or individual tutoring for 11+

(4 Posts)
welcometomyworld2 Fri 04-Apr-14 10:27:32

I am just about to book my son in for tutoring for next September and have the option of him doing it with a friend or by himself. What do you think would be best? Thank you.

AtAmber Fri 04-Apr-14 10:36:12

With a friend. My ds had tutoring with two of his friends. The added bit of completion gave them all a bit of extra push.

PastSellByDate Fri 04-Apr-14 10:39:07

Hi I tutored DD1 at home - initially with a group of friends, but over the summer one to one.

Advantages of group:

they see that other children are doing the extra work too.

competition can drive them to work hard.

-----

Disadvantages of group:

Children can find harder work a bit frightening and may act up/ be disruptive (as one did in our homespun group)

Can become play time rather than work time

--------------------------------------------

advantages working one to one:

Total attention on your child and their strengths/ weaknesses

Can tailor work to your child's needs

--------------------

Disadvantages

Can lead to a sense of isolation (I'm the only one doing all this, it's not fair scenario)

Can become combative if the child is resistant to doing the work or being challenged

-----------------------------------------------

Having done a bit of both there's no winning. What I will say is preparing for the 11+ (especially if this is not Y5) is likely to be a long haul - so having friends to do it with at least means you're not on your own.

If you are planning on helping support this and not just being hands-off - then in fact at home you can give the 1 to 1 support, reinforcing group work at the tutorial.

HTH

TaDaaah Sat 05-Apr-14 16:36:28

Agree with PSBD. Do you know how similar in ability the DCs are? Are they in the same class at school? If not of very similar ability, might not be best choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now