Talk

Advanced search

Eleven Plus practice paper help!

(10 Posts)
MinimalistMommi Thu 03-Apr-14 13:18:16

Could someone point me in the right direction for which ones to buy?
There is a dizzying array on amazon!
I don't want this thread to turn into a should you/shouldn't you prepare your child for the eleven plus, I would just like some help knowing which material would help my child!
Thank you anyone who can help!

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 03-Apr-14 13:20:12

We used the Bond papers. Maths, English and Verbal reasoning (it wasn't the 11+ though, it was the CE for a private secondary).

Seeline Thu 03-Apr-14 13:20:27

Firstly you need to find out what type of exams the schools you are interested in actually do. Eg maths, English, verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning.

jeee Thu 03-Apr-14 13:24:08

Depends entirely on the 11+ your child is taking. Some tests are for one school. I live in Kent, so my DC take the Kent Test, but if we lived in Medway (which is still in Kent) they'd take the Medway Test and possibly also the Kent Test.

Ask your child's school for advice, and ask the school you wish your child to go to for advice. However, there's no guarantee they'll tell you anything. Assuming you don't get the necessary information this way, the Eleven Plus Forum is a good Resource - it has local pages. Just remember that many of the regular posters on that forum are a tad obsessed.

HeisenbergsHat Thu 03-Apr-14 13:26:19

If you look on the 11+ forum it will tell you which type of exam your school/area does, they also give recommendations for suitable books.

I like the Bond verbal & non-verbal reasoning books but I used them for something a bit different for my DC to do when I was home educating, not for actual 11+ prep (we're in a non-grammar school area). They both still like doing the books for homework, but perhaps I have strange kids grin

MinimalistMommi Thu 03-Apr-14 13:26:46

jeee is that forum on here? grin
Thanks everyone you've been a huge help already, I have no clue really about this!

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 03-Apr-14 13:27:28

Ds used to do them for fun, HeisebbergsHat confused

jeee Thu 03-Apr-14 13:30:09

No - try this link www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/index.php

Sorry - I can't seem to make it click through.

jeee Thu 03-Apr-14 13:30:27

Oh.... it's gone click through all by itself!

MinimalistMommi Thu 03-Apr-14 13:32:18

Thank you very much jeee I really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now