Talk

Advanced search

OFSTED/ISIS

(6 Posts)
neartears Tue 01-Apr-14 21:12:22

Why do some independent schools have OFSTED reports and other just the (far less useful) independent schools report?

Hulababy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:13:15

If they have an Early Years department (this will include Foundation/Reception) they will be inspected by OFSTED for that element.

trinity0097 Wed 02-Apr-14 19:28:31

Not true, EYFS can be inspected by an ISI inspector during a full inspection of the school, but regardless the OFSTED format is used to report, with OFSTED grades.

An independent school must apply to be inspected by the far more rigorous ISI team - in my opinion, I have been inspected 3 times by OSFTED and once by ISI - ISI inspection was longer and far more rigorous! The report is far nicer written though by ISI inspectors as they seek to highlight the positives as much as possible, whereas OFSTED write-ups seem to make the most of the negatives!

apermanentheadache Wed 02-Apr-14 19:32:20

Ofsted inspect "non-association" independent schools (eg those not members of the Independent Schools Council). Save for a small number of schools that belong to (faith schools) organisations like the Focus Learning Trust, which are inspected by other small inspectorates.

apermanentheadache Wed 02-Apr-14 19:35:34

Sorry - should have said - schools that do belong to the ISC are inspected by the ISI . Each inspectorate has its own inspection framework and by no means is it widely accepted that independent school inspections are more rigorous than maintained (state) school inspections.

neartears Wed 02-Apr-14 20:47:16

definitely the ISC seem so vacuously full of praise as to be nearly worthless. I want to see an OFSTED! At least I know where I am with them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now