Talk

Advanced search

Year 2 Maths advice

(5 Posts)
Lalamum18 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:36:02

I'm trying to help my daughter with maths progress and to a lesser degree currently literacy. We look at her current homework and obviously I can help her along but I don't always appear to be showing her the way she has learnt. I'm there with numberlines and times tables etc but I don't want to confuse her with mixed messages. Are there any books out there for parents to learn how their children are learning (does that make sense!!)

christinarossetti Tue 01-Apr-14 14:37:40

Someone recommended 'Maths for Mum and Dad' to me, but I would say it's best to ask the teacher for an example, as there are several different methods.

PastSellByDate Tue 01-Apr-14 14:58:28

HI Lalamum18:

There are tons of workbooks - go to any major newsagent/ book shop and have a browse.

My advice with workbooks is to have a look at their format with your DC, because certain books will appeal.

DD2 was given some photocopied sheets from the Letts Mythical maths series for homework in KS1 and really liked the pictures and games/ puzzles format: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mythical%20maths&sprefix=mythical+mat%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amythical%20maths

My other piece of advice is have a look at Woodland Junior School Maths Zone (free website with tons of links to games to practice math skills) - don't underestimate the power of video games for practise and building skills. resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/

HTH

Lalamum18 Tue 01-Apr-14 15:19:16

We have workbooks and she loves the Mythical maths series as well. I'm more looking at a book on maths for mums and dads so will definitely try the one from christinarossetti.
I have asked the teachers but seem to get worksheets or websites- which are fine for practising but not great at explaining

ipadquietly Tue 01-Apr-14 18:31:22

I'd ask the teacher. She can probably give you a copy of the school's calculation policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now