Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone please level this writing? I normally laugh at these threads.

(25 Posts)
Wizard19 Tue 01-Apr-14 13:32:07

Foundation child wrote this independently at school, all legible and spaced appropriately.

In spring the blossom grows and it's pink and white. Spring is a good time to lay eggs. Spring is when the sun comes.

Brown bears jump in the water to cach fish.

proudmama72 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:07:55

sorry I can't level it.

But that's sounds fantastic. You are blessed with a bright kid.sounds typical of end of year 1, but I wouldn't know precisely.

Fairenuff Tue 01-Apr-14 18:32:40

Foundation child wrote "it's" appropriately?

Wizard19 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:27:15

I have a picture of it all, could not believe it. All done at school and documented as independent.

Is it used "appropriately"? Not even sure without checking.

Wizard19 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:37:49

Picture of work.

proudmama72 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:43:14

Proof is in the pudding. That's fantastic.

Wizard19 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:04:01

Thanks proudmama72
I would be sceptical too, hope she carries on enjoying reading & writing.

TheBuskersDog Tue 01-Apr-14 23:18:04

Actually "it's" isn't appropriate, it should be "its", not that I would expect a FS child to know that of course.

TheBuskersDog Tue 01-Apr-14 23:19:51

Sorry just re-read and it is correct, am obviously tired, I thought it was "its pink and white blossom."

gymboywalton Tue 01-Apr-14 23:19:53

no-it's is correct
it's a contraction of it is

OhNoYouExpedidnt Tue 01-Apr-14 23:25:51

Can't really give it a level as it is very short and just one piece of writing.

It's very good though and you should be proud.

Wizard19 Tue 01-Apr-14 23:34:01

Thanks. It is representative of her work seen after a school visit.
I would put it at a 1c with my limited knowledge + google.

Thanks and opinions welcome.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 02-Apr-14 00:02:17

It is pink and white. Therefore it's pink and white.

That is really good. Can't really help with the level though as my incredibly bright 7yo writes her name on a piece of paper and not much more. So I don't really know what's normal.

PenguinBear Wed 02-Apr-14 22:27:19

I am a Reception teacher. In Reception there are 3 levels (Emerging, expected and exceeding). I would say that piece of work is beyond the expected level and falls more into the 'exceeding' category. (Although that piece of evidence alone would not enough to make a judgement, it would be looked at over time and in a series of contexts).
Plus, I think it depends on the schools version of 'independent'. I've been in schools were 'independent' is the teacher sat next to the child saying 'and the next sound... Use finger spaces, what comes at the end of the sentence etc' and other schools where independent is 'X sat at the writing table and wrote this out by herself with no help'.

smile

proudmama72 Wed 02-Apr-14 22:34:27

The only thing I've ever scene remotely likely that it reception is when the school held up an example of excellent work in a school assembly. But the student had been helped - it wasn't independent. if he can spell those words without help - well I don't know I'm not a teacher- I can say I'd only be amazed if one of my kids would write something that at 5.

Someone is doing something right with your son.

Wizard19 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:11:24

Proudmama My daughter.

She is still still 4 and she can actually spell those words. Teachers let her do phonics with yr1 & yr2. Not pressured, she loves working with the older children.

Wizard19 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:16:57

PenguinBear
Good to get a professional view. She has the finger spacing sorted, is on ort level 6. Reads daily.

Jinty64 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:28:54

Ds3 (7) is in P3 so Y2 equivalent and that is pretty much what he is doing. His writing is similar, his spacing is probably not as good, he is starting to write longer pieces but only recently unless it is about Minecraft and he is very good at spelling, punctuation etc. if he had brought that work home I would not have been unhappy so she is clearly doing very well.

Wizard19 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:36:54

Thanks jinty64.

From what I have heard, boys take a little more time to get into writing.(Generalisation I know)
If he wants to write about minecraft encourage it.

proudmama72 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:13:08

Jinty64 * unless it is about Minecraft*

grin

Galena Thu 03-Apr-14 13:13:32

DD writes well at 4 too - a similar level to your DD I think. She also knows 'it's' when it is short for it is, she uses an apostrophe for ownership and correctly uses question marks, full stops, exclamation marks and ellipses (...)

She was levelled at a 1c in January for writing.

I think they are doing just great!

OhNoYouExpedidnt Thu 03-Apr-14 13:26:00

The problem with levelling younger children's writing at higher levels is that there really does need to be quite a bit of it. It's the maturity of the writing that also brings higher levels. I would be more inclined to not give a level now but say that by the end of year 2, at that quality now, they will be an easy level 3.

Wizard19 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:51:22

Galena Well done to your DD.

OhNo.. I understand what you are saying. If they both keep up and make general progress from now, should be at a good level by yr2. Of course there will be no levels by then .. .. another thread.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Thu 03-Apr-14 21:07:58

I'll tell you what Wizard. You post some writing here in 2 years time I will give you an old school level for it!

OhNoYouExpedidnt Thu 03-Apr-14 21:08:41

And if it's not a level 3 I'll eat my (wizard's) hat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now