Talk

Advanced search

School disco for Y1 and Y2 - do they have to wear uniforms?

(13 Posts)
littlecrystal Tue 01-Apr-14 12:02:30

1st ever school disco is approaching. Do you normally have to wear uniforms or is it normal clothes? Do parents normally stay or go? Help!

TIA.

redskyatnight Tue 01-Apr-14 12:08:37

Normal clothes (unless fancy dress which would have been specified).

Not normal to have parents stay unless helpers are asked for but that would have been done in advance.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 01-Apr-14 12:10:46

Usually they wear their own clothes. Volunteer to stay and help if you'd like, but they're hellish. Go home and put the kettle on.

SapphireMoon Tue 01-Apr-14 12:11:05

At our school the discos are after school and definitely not school uniform.
Ours are run by the PTA and they are always wanting help with refreshments etc. Teachers supervise our discos and parents just drop off and pick up children if not helping PTA.
May be different in other schools. You need to check!

UC Tue 01-Apr-14 12:14:41

Own clothes.

Check about attending. At our ones, you HAVE to go with the child if they're in yr 1 or 2. It's awful!!!

imnottoofussed Tue 01-Apr-14 12:19:06

I used to stay at DD's disco as she wouldn't let me leave, they usually were in the school hall with the benches arranged around the edges so quite a lot of parents stayed and gossiped.

Definitely own clothes.

littlecrystal Tue 01-Apr-14 12:25:13

Thank you - this helps massively as I had no clue! I offered my help but have not heard back so I guess they have enough volunteers.

It is amazing that DS is left at school every day, but leaving him for disco seems a bit awkward. As if he grew up overnight!

redskyatnight Tue 01-Apr-14 12:34:18

Offering help and not hearing back at my DC's schools would mean they were assuming you were coming (but then they never had enough volunteers for things - may be different at your school). You might want to check!

TeenAndTween Tue 01-Apr-14 13:00:22

Our school insists that parents of infants stay.
The PTA does not wish to take responsibility for loads of over excited 5/6 year olds.

Actually due to behaviour of some older children, we have also considered asking parents of juniors to stay too! But having a respected teacher present helps keep things in check. We now ask that a contact number is left for every child.

noramum Tue 01-Apr-14 13:27:02

Ours were on a own clothes day, normally Comic relief or Sports relief.

In the first year all parents had to stay, a nightmare. They then changed it so that Y1 and 2 could go on their own, the admission ticket also included food and drink and it worked well but only because they had lots of volunteers.

This year we had no disco at all, new head has new ideas, and all parents I spoke to actually agreed they don't miss it :-)

my2bundles Tue 01-Apr-14 14:17:41

I would ask your school these questions as they are impossible for parents with children at different schools to answer.

pointythings Tue 01-Apr-14 21:21:46

It's usually own clothes - my one piece of advice is to make sure they wear lightweight clothing. School halls full of dancing kids get hot.

DD2's primary school's discos fall into 2 groups - Yr 1,2,3 first (until 6.30 pm) and then Yr 4,5,6 until 8.30. Parents don't stay. YrR doesn't go, they have some sort of party during the school day instead.

CocktailQueen Tue 01-Apr-14 21:23:33

Own clothes. At our school parents have to stay and supervise their dc. You can't go home and leave them. the bar makes loads of money at the bar every disco

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now