Advanced search

leaving school or stay: please help

(6 Posts)
neartears Tue 01-Apr-14 10:27:23

Son, 7, at state primary. Loads of friends, doing well. School went through difficult times and I looked for a new school for him. School always had a strong infants but weak Juniors and there was a crisis of leadership so quite a few parents left. Son now has a place starting at a private prep in September, which I like a lot but don't love. The homework looks burdensome, but the kids are happy and it has sports and computer rooms and subject teachers etc (son very enthusiastic about it). However, in the meantime state school has had a rapid turn around. New head appointed, and is building strong team. New teachers appointed in Junior school and parents with children in Juniors much happier. Plans afoot for more extra-curricular activities and mood lightened among staff and parents. There is a waiting list for our current state school so if my son leaves he is unlikely to get back in again for a few years, so I can't take the decision to leave lightly. The private school (genuinely) rarely gets places higher up the school. I cannot decide what to do, as the reasons I started looking for a new school in the first place are no longer as strong as they were, and yet I feel as if I am sleepwalking towards taking up the new place.

DeWe Tue 01-Apr-14 11:04:57

I would stay from what you've said.

proudmama72 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:15:32

independent school fees are such a drain on expenses. Isn't it more cost effective to get tutoring?

Nocomet Tue 01-Apr-14 11:30:09

Fees, daft expensive uniform, multiple sets of PE kit, HW (juniors do not need it before Y6), losing local friends, long days -great if you need the child care, but awful for Beavers, swimming, cheaper music lessons (our local private schools are £££).

I'd save the money for secondary or even university.

redskyatnight Tue 01-Apr-14 11:45:30

So to summarise
Current school - child is happy, has friends, strong leadership in place is turning things round, many of your previous worries being addressed.

New school - you don't love it, things you positively don't like (homework), a bit of an unknown

Even taking out the private/state issue, I think staying put for now and seeing what happens sounds like the best move. I seriously doubt this will be the only time that he can move schools - if you decide that actually you do want him to go somewhere else a while down the line.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 01-Apr-14 11:57:58

I wouldn't move him given what you've said. When do you need to accept the prep place? Perhaps hold off to the last minute to check juniors is as improved as you think?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: