Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else's child(ren) actively looking forward to SATS week ?

(13 Posts)
SATSmadness Mon 31-Mar-14 22:16:51

Apparently "excited and can't wait for SATS week, we're all allowed to go to breakfast club for free that week and we can have treats afterwards".

Hmmm......school would appear to be doing a good job on selling the whole experience as positive in our house.

How's it going elsewhere ?

Beehatch Mon 31-Mar-14 22:18:46

As far as I know they have not a clue. DD has no idea what SATs means. And long may it be so!

hippo123 Mon 31-Mar-14 22:20:25

They aren't even aware of them at my dc's school. It's just a normal week for them.

SATSmadness Mon 31-Mar-14 22:27:59

Surely all Y6's have heard of SATS ? Y2's may be oblivious but surely not the 10/11 year olds ?

Slackgardener Mon 31-Mar-14 22:36:18

Mine are looking forward to them being over - they are fed up with continual testing. Breakfast club is not appealing much either.

MerlinFromCamelot Mon 31-Mar-14 22:37:14

DD is having end of term maths and English tests and is looking forward to it.. For some reason she enjoys testing?!
She said that during writing tests the children are given grapes, no idea why...

angelcake20 Mon 31-Mar-14 22:43:36

Yr 6 take in huge amounts of food and get to have what is basically a party after each test so, yes, DS is looking forward to it.

AmberTheCat Mon 31-Mar-14 22:52:11

My dd is feeling slightly daunted at the number of tests (she's doing some L6 papers so could end up taking nine papers in four days!), but she claims to enjoy tests so I think on the whole is quite looking forward to it.

She's also definitely looking forward to doing something other than revision afterwards, as well...

mummytime Mon 31-Mar-14 22:52:14

My oldest two loved them, they got to do special "brain exercises" and ate brain food before, then got extra play time and fun activities in the afternoon.

But then they aren't as intensively prepared as some schools I've heard about here. They've had school trips, seen a heart dissected, studied stuff not in the SATs etc.etc.

pointythings Tue 01-Apr-14 10:04:37

DD2 is looking forward to the second day which is wall to wall SPaG - she is doing L6.

For the rest of it she is much less anxious than she was because the school did a mock SATs week, complete with breakfast laid on, no lessons in the afternoon and everything under exam conditions. She feels it won't be daunting at all now.

DeWe Tue 01-Apr-14 11:04:18

I always quite enjoyed exams actually. I didn't enjoy getting the results, but I found actually doing exams was more relaxing and less pressured than getting ready for them. Our school did one exam in the morning, one in the afternoon, and that means a double period between break and lunch which was officially "revision", but was actually quite fun.

Dd2 enjoyed her SATS week in year 6.

Menolly Tue 01-Apr-14 20:01:51

my little brother is, especially as he's taking L6 papers so gets to do extra, he's a weird child though.

spanieleyes Tue 01-Apr-14 20:42:11

The majority of children seem to enjoy SATS week and Year 6 teachers work very hard to ensure they do!! I run breakfast club and when we are not doing tests we do extra PE, especially swimming! The children have extra playtime, without the rest of the school and are generally pampered all week ( we buy new pens and special pencils, they are allowed erasers-which we don't usually have-and some sweets to chew on in each test.) What's not to like!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now