Talk

Advanced search

Normal to see no change in levels?

(6 Posts)
Whatevertheweather Mon 31-Mar-14 20:04:50

DD (yr2) has just come home with her mid term report which has lots of lovely comments and A for effort and achievement in all areas. But her levels are exactly the same as her end of yr1 report. 2A for literacy, 2B for numeracy and 2B for science.

I know those levels are fine for year 2 but just wondering if it's normal to see no change whatsoever before I bring it up with her teacher. Her teacher last year was adamant she'd get secure level 3's in her sats this year but it seems she's quite a way off that now.

youarewinning Mon 31-Mar-14 20:08:49

It's uncommon in year 2 not to have made a sublevel or 2 by now.

I'd have a chat with the teacher and see what they say. It might be that these were the levels at the beginning of the year and she's made progress since then. Reports can be written weeks before they are published!

They need to show progress by the end of the year so I would guess this isn't an indication of she she'll end up or they would have added support. Y now.

Even though they are good for year 2 they should be making her levels against her ability.

youarewinning Mon 31-Mar-14 20:10:01

By beginning of year I meant jan not beginning of school year!

proudmama72 Mon 31-Mar-14 20:13:10

Those levels are unusual for Year 1. Are you sure they weren't targets for end of year 2. They are good levels with a 2a above average for end of year 2

Whatevertheweather Mon 31-Mar-14 20:22:30

Thanks youare I've had a few reservations all year about how much progress she has been making. She was 1 of 5 yr1's in a yr2 class last year and came on leaps and bounds with an amazing teacher. This yr she's a yr2 with a few yr1's in the class and they seem to be covering a lot of the same ground again seemingly without differentiated for those who were in the yr2 class last year. The other mums of the children who were with her last year have had the same concerns.

proudmama just dug out her eoy report and I tell a lie she has moved 1 sub level in literacy. She was 2B across the board last year. Her target was to end yr2 on 3b across the board. Still possible I know just wondering if this is the point I should step in and see why she's seemingly not really progressing.

She's happy and settled and I know levels aren't the end of the world, it's only primary etc but I would like her to be stretched to the best of her ability smile

rollonthesummer Mon 31-Mar-14 23:25:10

It's rare to see a report where a literacy level is given; it's usually separate reading and writing levels.

I'd definitely query this. At my school, expected progress in y2 is 3 sublevels. It is looking very unlikely she'll reach a target of 3b.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now